Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Civil War arguments

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds good to me. What if Thomas Jefferson had signed a piece of paper that said "In the year 2006, slickpoppa will pay pvn $3,000,000 per day" - do you think you should be held to that? Why is the constitution any different?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thankfully a piece of paper declaring that I need to pay you $3,000,000 is a bill of attainder, which would be prohibited by the Constutition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't subjecting you to the constitution similarly imposing punishment on you? The constitution is unconstitutional! Beautiful, I'll have to add this to my bag.

[ QUOTE ]
But more to the point, it would be nice for each individual if he had the right to decide that a particular form of government coercion were unjust and declare immunity from it. But obviously such a system would never work.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the system would work fine. It just wouldn't work in the way it does now, or the way you want it to.

[ QUOTE ]
If everyone could just opt out of whatever laws they wanted to, then laws would be essentially useless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some things you can't opt out of. You can't opt-out in any way that lets you violate others' rights. Any law that violates rights instead of protects them *should* be nullified anyway, so this is a win-win situation.

[ QUOTE ]
From reading your earlier posts, it sounds like that is what you want--no laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nearly, but not quite. Thou shall not kill, thou shall not steal, those are pretty good laws - and self-evident ones, when you observe and respect human rights.

Things like "thou shall pay your taxes" and "thou shall surrender thine property to the authorities upon demand" just don't have the same ring to them. Get rid of them.

[ QUOTE ]
If you really want to have that argument, then that is the topic of another thread. This thread is about the South seceding from the Union. Even the people in the South who seceded from the Union were not envisioning no government at all after they were successful in seceding.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, the confederacy was statist, and therefore flawed.