Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 12:41 AM

Default was this played wrong?

Hey, just starting out here on the forums, trying to figure out how i'm playing hands wrong as it seems to be the best way to improve right now. Anyways, here it is...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (3 handed) converter

SB ($5.26)
BB ($1)
Hero ($1.69)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls $0.02, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.06) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.02</font>, BB calls $0.02, Hero calls $0.02.

Turn: ($0.12) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.02</font>, BB calls $0.02, Hero calls $0.02.

River: ($0.18) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.02</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $0.38</font>, Hero calls $0.18.

Final Pot: $0.94

Should i have reraised/not just called on the flop
Old 06-06-2005, 03:44 AM

Default Re: was this played wrong?

Montone, looks like sb holds a flush or a decent flush.

I'd probably fold unless i had reads otherwise.

p.s. Move up to 0.05/.10 games, They play slightly better and pots are nicer. I'm sure you have $30 bankroll.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:59 PM

First off, I wouldn't really recommend playing short handed no-limit hold'em as a beginner, but I guess the stakes are small enough to keep you out of trouble. Short no-limit is a difficult thing to play, in my opinion.

I'd fold that crummy ace, but if you play it I think a raise preflop is in order. Your kicker is terrible, so you want to try to shake out any other weak (but better) aces.

The flop is pretty terrible for you. The small blind's lame bet and the BB's call makes it look like a couple of flush draws are out there. I'd fold this mess. The chance of a flush coming are better than your pot odds, and you don't want the fourth flush card.

The turn betting continues to stink. I think the K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is out there trying to trap. Fold.

On the river, the min bet by the SB is strange. It means nothing. Your raise makes sense since it looks like you're good after dodging that fourth flush card. I don't get his reraise after that little bet, but I think you're stuck calling at this point.

Strangely played by the SB. The BB was obviously on a flush draw. I'm guessing the SB thought he was bluffing with his little reraise on the end and you took it down.

Terribly play by the SB, I think. Even if he won.

Regards,

T
Old 06-06-2005, 01:44 PM

*grunching*

I'd either fold or raise that hand preflop. Calling seems like asking for trouble. There aren't too many flops that will make you happy you called.

Assuming you raise, the whole hand plays out differently.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:22 PM

Raise or fold pf. I probably raise, say to 2.5 the blind.

Having not raised, I'd raise the flop, maybe min-bet him if you think you can get away with it. And put in another small-medium sized bet on the turn and check the river (even when your second pair hits.) I'd fold to a big (re)raise at any point.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:32 PM

I play the same high stakes game on Stars as well.

I think in a 3 handed game, that hand is definitely playable on the button.

Raise pre-flop.

Raise SB's $0.02 flop bet to $0.08. Fold to a reraise, but expect to pick up the pot here. If he calls and comes out betting on the turn (even if its another annoying $0.02), I'd fold.

Aggression pays at this level.

Probably the main reason SB bet $0.02 is because there's a button on the right that allows you to bet $0.02. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]