Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-23-2005, 03:02 AM

Default Re: 2 5/10 NL 6 max hands, I\'m turning into a LAG

the raise amount in hand 1 is awkward as hell

be aware of stack sizes with these bluffs, you dont need to get pot stuck with a weak draw, its almost better to have NO hand when bluffing, then you dont care if you have odds or not, if you get reraised its a muck

calling it off with draws is hopeless poker
Old 12-23-2005, 04:09 AM

I have no problem playing a little crazy and gambling it up with my first buy in or two. If my plays are working then I build my stack early, if not then I rebuy and will get paid off with hands that I might not have before. Or I keep losing and go on tilt.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
its almost better to have NO hand when bluffing

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, semi bluffing totally sucks. I mean I hate when I get called and hit.

It's the raise amount that stinks here, nothing else. And hero should only do this if he honestly thinks he has a good chance of taking it down, and only if he's beeing paying attention to bet sizes.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no problem playing a little crazy and gambling it up with my first buy in or two. If my plays are working then I build my stack early, if not then I rebuy and will get paid off with hands that I might not have before. Or I keep losing and go on tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's ur pokersite s/n?
Old 12-23-2005, 06:00 AM

Isn't it likely that on hand 1 he expects action so why give it to him with a hand like that?
Old 12-23-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Rika,

WTF? Presumably he was also playing like a goddamn maniac, so you don't figure to be crushed in either hand. But, I think you are crushed in the first one, and are drawing only to your straight outs. Why? Because he bet 100 into an 80 dollar pot, into the pf raiser, and a bet one dollar over the pot size tends to be 2 pair+. Alternatively, he could have T9, in which case your money is in bad.

Hand 2 you are nuts for making it 115 with T8s and then potting. You obviously have to call a push if he raises your pot bet, so you should be checking, or betting a smaller amount, or pushing, in that order. There are 2 other guys in this hand who called 115, and that board ain't scary to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love your replies.

All, I have one question:
re: hand 2, is checking still the best option if it was HU?
If you do check, are you planning to raise the turn a % of the time (assuming villain bets into you)?
My default if it was heads up would be follow it by a cbet.
ty,
f
Old 12-23-2005, 07:56 PM

Did you even READ the Ciaffonne book?

He directly states this concept. Doesn't even coyly hint at hit, literally spells it out.

gimminyfuckingchristmas
Old 12-23-2005, 10:32 PM

Are you saying if you're going to bluff at a pot you would rather NOT have outs than have them?

Rethink that for yourself.

Listen, the raise amount was bad because it causes hero to have to call. But saying that if you're going to bluff it's better to have no outs at all is ridiculous.

C&R talk a LOT about making big moves with big draws, and the QT hand counts. Unfortunately, with the size of the pot a push just wouldn't make much sense. Villain perhaps made the worst move because he's commiting so much of his stack with a hand that probably has a lot of outs.

Why do you keep insisting that I, A. Have not read the book, or B. Did not understand it?

I don't know how much respect people gave to your posts, but you'll surely be losing any you had from this point on.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:03 PM

Munkster-

The problem with making a continuation bet is that you'll be faced with a cr on this board very often. Given that BB called a RR, and MP is playing "Laggy" yet checked the flop, indicates there's a very good chance you'll be played back at; this board isn't very scary to JJ-AA, and since villain had been playing very loose they will be less inclined to give him credit for a big hand.

If it was heads up this hand would be completely different. Still, a pot bet here is terrible because it commits hero to calling a cr.

2/3 pot bet shows a fine amount of strength without committing as much of his stack (if heads up).

The great thing about checking through this flop, is that if you hit, no one can give you credit for your hand and you can still break QQ-AA (JJ just filled up).
Old 12-24-2005, 01:31 AM

ill go ahead and spell it out also so that you wont mislead any innocent bystanders who read your terrible analysis

semibluffing is great if the stack sizes allow for it, obviously its nice to have outs to hit if you are called, this is about the most obvious thing i have ever had someone try to argue with me about on here

what youre missing is IF the stack sizes are such that you WOULD be pot committed in raising a poor draw, ie getting 2-1 or better with an 8/9 outer, it is in fact better to have total air, thus you do not have to worry about the unhappy situation in which you call your stack off possibly drawing very very slim

this is in the book, anyone who carefully read it would know this

as you have been making posts to exclusively discuss the book it is fairly ridiculous youre unaware of this

if you continue to be obstinate i will likely fetch the book from my friend that is borrowing it, quote directly, and probably be very very brutal about it

btw you yourself say "a pot bet here is terrible because it commits hero to calling a cr"

if hero had air the pot bet would be highly superior, and it would be advantageous in that you would BE able to make that full pot bluff by having air, as its easy to take down the pot in that manner, as long as you arent committed with a draw

of course in general i would much rather be semibluffing than completely bluffing, i dont even really consider the semibluffing i do on a regular basis to BE bluffing, i often have the best hand

bluffing is something very different than semibluffing, but something the two concepts hold in common is that you shouldnt be calling off money while doing them, you should almost always be the final aggressor, as what makes the plays profitable is fold equity, fold equity, fold equity

btw what did tommy say?