Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: big laydown or is this standard? 2/4 NL

If he is a tricky LAG, then move in pf if he reraises u.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he is a tricky LAG, then move in pf if he reraises u.

[/ QUOTE ]
even with as deep a stacks as we had?

we clearly covered the table, i didn't see any reason to push on him with this hand. probably wrong but at the time i didn't see any reason.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:39 PM

Unless villan is extremly tricky, I just dont see him having anything but AA-QQ once he calls or raises your checkraise. He has QQ or AA and thats it in my mind. This is how most people play at 2-4.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:45 PM

i probably should have reraised preflop to define his hand more (whatever that means since his reraise after dodging me and pounding everyone else at the table pretty much told me he had a big hand) but i still don't think there was a need to push so early in the hand.

i folded to his reraise on the flop, obviously. he either had AA-QQ, maybe AdQd which is still scary. he showed AA and typed "nice try at the pot." i didn't reply.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless villan is extremly tricky, I just dont see him having anything but AA-QQ once he calls or raises your checkraise. He has QQ or AA and thats it in my mind. This is how most people play at 2-4.

[/ QUOTE ]
What makes it real tricky is the fact that 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is a possibility against a tricky villain. Hmm, I hate these spots, a reraise preflop might be best, although as I've said, I'd not be very happy to get all in preflop with these stacks.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Answer

This is neither a "big laydown" nor is it a "standard" laydown. It is in-between. Make as educated a guess as you can.

So, you say, you have played against him many times? You respect him? You stay away from him? You are tight against him? He is a good player? Well, maybe he's picked up on your attitude and he's been planning on taking this pot away from you the minute he saw your first bet.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What makes it real tricky is the fact that 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is a possibility against a tricky villain. Hmm, I hate these spots, a reraise preflop might be best, although as I've said, I'd not be very happy to get all in preflop with these stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, i didn't think the flop decision was really as difficult (in hindsight) as the preflop decision b/c of your very post. now if he has this draw then its a bad fold, but it also proves that he could hold just about any two cards as well and all i have is a pair. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Answer

this is right on in some places and not in others.
[ QUOTE ]
You respect him?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes
[ QUOTE ]
You stay away from him?

[/ QUOTE ]
no
[ QUOTE ]
You are tight against him?

[/ QUOTE ]
i had actually been pounding on him a little and taking some pots from him. he had been making some laydowns to me not really the other way around. he had been absolutely crushing the rest of the table though.
[ QUOTE ]
He is a good player?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, i think he is probably better than me.
[ QUOTE ]
Well, maybe he's picked up on your attitude and he's been planning on taking this pot away from you the minute he saw your first bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
you are exactly right but for a different reason than i think you originally thought. i think he found Aces and thought "haha i am finally gonna pick this fucker off!"

i think he wasn't tangling with me b/c he knew i wouldn't race him preflop (i too had a deep stack) whereas the rest of the table was pretty much preflop raise/post flop push poker and he was salivating and gobbling them up.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:06 PM

sry... forgot about the stacks. No, you cant move in with that deep stacks.

And.... sry again, I just realize that if he reraises you, we are in 4th bet. I can't remember when I saw a 2-4 player do this with a hand lower than KK. I don't even recall QQ! But maybe you know something about this player I don't...
I agree with ahnuld here.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:22 PM

I don't think I have ever seen a bluff that had a preflop reraiser practically minreraise (50 more than minimum) leaving himself so much behind. I would fold pretty quickly here-villain does not seem too worried about what you have.