Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 11:40 AM

Default How often do you take an extended break from the game?

I love poker. I love the challenge of the game.

But every 5 weeks or so, of playing everyday (I play at least 2 hours a day, usually a lot more), I get sick of the game.

It doesn't matter if I am on a winning streak or a losing one, I simply lose all motivation to play.

Taking regular breaks from the game, I understand now, is an essential part of being a long term winning player.

So now I schedule one week off from poker out of every 6 week cycle.

What about you, do you take regular extended breaks from the game? Or do you simply play as often as possible? And do you (like me) sometimes feel guilty about not playing (this golden age won't last forever, so I need to take full advantage whilst I can)?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: How often do you take an extended break from the game?

I played just about everyday for a couple of hours towards the end of my last school semester, and ended up taking the entire summer off. Granted, I was working in London for most of the summer, so I didn't really have much of a setup to play with, but I didn't even start thinking about playing cards until I was back at school.

I think that forcing yourself to play when you don't want to can be good in some cases - specifically if you're just lazy and don't get the number of hands in that you should - but ultimately, if you want time off due to being overworked, you should just take it. If you begin to lose your edge, you're going to get taken for money, and nobody wants that to happen.

Regards,
Alex
Old 09-27-2005, 12:16 PM

Only when I'm super frustrated. Or I have the LSATs that week (or this week for that matter)
Old 09-27-2005, 02:10 PM

I'm playing 1500 hands/day of 6max. I find its much easier to take 1-2 days a week off. It allows a much better psychological recharge rate than playing for 5 weeks and then taking an entire week off. If you get in to week 3 of a downswing and remember that there's two more weeks to go before your break it can be daunting.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:57 PM

when it feels like I can't do anything right.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:23 PM

I play 5-6 days a week, but take a break in another city every 6 weeks to two months. The family likes the 3-day to 7-day vacations, and I need it.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]