Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 07-10-2005, 04:11 PM

Default QQ vs. 3 bet, Ace on Flop

Party 1/2 HE 6m/6h

I had the impression SB was LAP. I saw he was 57/9 over 30 hands when I checked later.

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, CO calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, CO checks, Hero ...checks.

I'm new to SH, but I have seen what seems to me an inordinate number of players in the Party 1/2 game slowplaying Ax with Axx flops. I had a feeling SB might be doing that. He had 3-bet preflop and wasn't particularly pf aggressive, so I thought I would be behind more hands (AA, AK, AQs, KK) here than I would be ahead of (JJ). I didn't feel like getting checkraised which I would have folded to. I figured I would bet the turn if SB checked again or call it down UI from there if SB started betting out (unless a King came.)
Old 07-10-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: QQ vs. 3 bet, Ace on Flop

This play is really bad.It's probably worse than open folding . You miss a value bet and give a free card to a draw and Kx hands. Bet your hand and if you get raised you can reevaluate on the turn. You have the best position anyway.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:05 PM

I'm not sure I understand your logic. Why would you prefer to pay 2 big bets rather than 1 samll bet to see his ace?

The only reason to fear a check-raise is if you think he might bluff CR you without an ace (very unlikely with most opponents, especially considering it's not headsup). Just bet. And I would call a CR, and then fold the turn.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:42 PM

You need to bet this to protect a decent hand in a big pot. End of story.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:34 AM

Turn came a Q and I bet of course and was called.

River came another Q and I bet and was called again. Villain had an Ace. I was behind on the flop as I had suspected. Maybe it was just a fluke or my hunch was just a lucky guess.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:57 AM

Using poor logic is what separates fish and those who can make a few bucks from this beautiful game. QQ on the button is a great hand, regardless of the board. If you check the flop and call a turn bet, it costs you 1 BB. Betting the flop and calling a raise is also 1BB, but you now have more info on what he has since he's turn betting after a check through with every hand he has. In addition, you have the best position to evaluate the play before you.

Always assess your situation using complete logic, and math if you can. Never use personal opinions on how good or bad specific hands are, and always have good reasons for putting someone on a hand as well, etc.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:33 AM

Dont get results oriented [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The flop check was awful.