Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 03:17 AM

Default Not extracting value or avoiding trouble... QQ

Hello all,

I haven't posted much on the forums, so a little background on me...

I play PP $25 full and 6-max, and for a while I was loosing (slowly, but surely) but the occassional big hand and deposit bonuses kept me afloat. I finally took a significant break, read a bunch of books and lurked on this forum for several months. It's finally paid of and I'm now winning a decent amount - still at the same level.

However, I believe one of my big leaks is not extracting enough value from my opponents when I have a pretty strong hand w/ a scary (or not-so-scary) board. I guess I tend to see too many monsters under the bed (particularly with a possible flush out). I'm often unsure of when to slow down and when to keep value betting at my opponent. The hand below is indicative of my problems:

My PT stats:
NL $25 - VPIP 19.3 / PFR 5.8 / PFA 2.4
NL $25 (6-max) - VPIP 23.9 / PFR 9.0 / PFA 2.3

Keep in mind these numbers include my "earlier days" when I was a lot looser w/ troublesome hands from EP (KQ, KJ, etc. and my arch nemesis AJ...) and a tad too agressive w/ potentially dominated hands.

Reads at this point: BB was fairly loose and hand called several $1 PF raises both with and without position... hadn't yet noticed much beyond that.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button ($23.50)
SB ($8.29)
BB ($36.30)
UTG ($8.80)
MP ($3.50)
Hero ($30.08)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $0.75.

Flop: ($2.10) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, BB calls $5.

Turn: ($16.10) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $4</font>, Hero calls $4.

River: ($24.10) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5.

Final Pot: $34.10

I appreciate any input and I'm going to start posting more hands and actually responding to others now that I actually feel like I know a little bit more than nothing...

ViperBull
Old 11-23-2005, 03:23 AM

Default Re: Not extracting value or avoiding trouble... QQ

First i would make 1.25 standard starting rraise + 0.25 for every limper. $1 just seems to keep the junk hands in with me, wierd how a quarter makes the difference [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. Anyway, it appears with villans weak turn bet that he is on sometype of draw and/or has a weak holding. Im bumping up the turn to $12 to see where i stand. He calls that and rivers a blank im value betting against a J i believe.