Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Rake Back Programs

I was looking at trying to better understand these rake back programs I see. For those that have used them or are using them do you find them to be a good deal? What should I look for?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Rake Back Programs

I recommend clicking on the rakebackreview.com link you'll find advertised here on 2+2. Good info there.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:51 AM

This is a subject that it can be hard to get a good answer on...

But, yes, rakeback is a good thing. It's like getting a small bonus every time you play. Don't sign up for any new poker sites until you understand rakeback better.

I only have it at a small site (because I'd signed up with all of the major sites before understanding it), and it is certainly a good thing (and the site should be happy to know it causes me to play on their site a heck of a lot more than I would otherwise).

You'll probably have to do some research in multiple places as you won't find a nice simple FAQ that explains everything (or at least I never found one... please post the link if you find it).

The Affiliates/Rakeback forum on this site has a lot of info -- not all of it helpful, but you should read through a lot of it anyway to get a sense of some of the issues involved.

Rake Rebate Review is another place to get info.

One thing to remember is that rakeback is usually offered by "affiliates". The affiliates can offer the best information, but they are also motivated to get your business, and not all of them are trustworthy, so keep some grains of salt handy...
Old 11-01-2005, 07:54 PM

P.S. I just saw this article at Poker Magazine which offers a decent but basic description.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:06 PM

There are a few threads in there so I guess I'm not the only one aware that there is a Affiliates/Rakeback forum.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:42 AM

I think you meant to say www.rakerebatereview.com The moderator there does a great job of protecting players from rogue affiliates. Many price wars are on and you are sure to get a great deal. ALWAYS sign up for rakeback if you can. This doesn't prevent you from getting bonuses or in any way hurt you. Some sites like Party don't allow it, but many players find off-radar affiliates who provide it there, but that is a whole separate murky topic.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:41 PM

It can hurt you. The bonus at most places are taken from your rakeback so when you start out bonuswhoring you won't make as much money than if you just whored the site without rakeback. I know that you will eventually get the money back if you continue to play on that site. However, a better strategy is to sign up for rakeback on one skin of all the major sites, then whore until you move up in the limits. At this point start playing at the sites that you have rakeback with.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It can hurt you. The bonus at most places are taken from your rakeback so when you start out bonuswhoring you won't make as much money than if you just whored the site without rakeback.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is wrong. The marginal value of the bonus may be lower, but bonus+rakeback is still at least as good as just a bonus. If you generate $200 of rake while playing enough to clear a $100 bonus (reasonable for $5-$10 limit or NL $400), and get 25% rakeback, then these are the values:

Rakeback alone: $50
Bonus alone: $100
Rakeback+Bonus: $125

At $2-$4 or NL $100 and below, you tend to pay less rake than the amount of a bonus while you are clearing a good bonus. On most sites, that means you get no value from rakeback while you are clearing a bonus. You have to play for higher stakes before rakeback is significant in comparison with a good bonus.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:30 PM

As always, those more knowledgeable than me on the topic of rakeback (i.e., everybody) are invited to contribute content at http://poker.wikicities.com/Rakeback . I added this thread link but there's a lot more that could be said in the article if anyone wants to take a shot. Then we'll have a better knowledgebase the next time the topic comes up. TIA.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:08 PM

So help me out on this:
This is from a rakeback site:

" Do signup bonuses and reload bonuses affect the rakeback I receive?
Signup bonuses and reload bonuses do affect the rakeback a player receives. If a player pays $500 in rake during the month and clears a $100 reload bonus then their MGR will be $400 for that month. If a player receives 23% rakeback then they would normally receive $500 x 0.23 = $115 in rakeback for the month for $500 in MGR. With the $100 reload bonus their MGR for the month is $500 - $100 = $400. Therefore, they will receive $400 x 0.23 = $92 in rakeback for the month. As you can see the $100 reload bonus “cost” the player $23 in rakeback ($115 - $92) so the $100 reload bonus for them is really like a $77 ($100 - $23) bonus. At Absolute Poker signup bonuses and reload bonuses do not count against your rake. "

It sounds to me like you would've been better off just clearing the bonus for you're $100 here. I've asked this question at bonuswhores.com and they told me the same thing. Namely, it's better to clear bonuses until you start to get to the higher limits (5/10+). I'm not trying to be smart here, I would like to know the real answer.

As an example: Today I cleared the Carribean Sun $40 bonus and I generated $77.75 in rake. If I had rakeback I would've had to subtract $40 from my rakeback bringing this down to $37.75. Assuming a 25% deal I would've recieved $9.43 in rakeback instead of a $40 bonus. Am I correct here or am I continually screwing myself. Would I have received the $40 and $9.43? If so, I'm pissed at all those bonuswhore guys.