Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Cards live till literally touching the Muck?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if anyone knows if the dealer can ask what my hand was, let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually procedure and training would have the dealer tell the other player that the hand is already mucked. The dealer should never ask you what your hand is.

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I thought it was a bit strange, but I didn't want to cause a fuss.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Cards live till literally touching the Muck?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Next time, if possible, wait until his cards are mucked before showing. You did not overrepresent your hand and he willingly mucked. His mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think verbally inducing your opponent to muck would be considered an "angle" play. The best hand must win the pot wherever possible, and the player who spoke up asking to see the cards was simply excercising her right to see all hands involved in a showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is different from the hand in question. The OP was the last agressor, and has to show his cards first. He did, and said "pair of 7s" at the same time. "Villain" then mucked and at that point, the cards should be dead. There was no other player asking to see the cards, but one asking another player directly if he could have beaten the OP. Completely different.

That having been said, it was low limit, you did the right thing by not making a big stink of it, but you should have won the pot because he conceded it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand was just an honest mistake. But if you say a false hand intentionally in an attempt to have your opponent muck her hand, that would be an angle play. Of course, the floorperson doesn't know your intentions...

[/ QUOTE ]

There was no mistake. He said his hand, tabled his cards and the villain mucked. No mistake, no angle shooting here. This is compltely different from miscalling your hand like "pair of 4s" when you have J2s in which case the villain IS entitled to the pot because you miscalled your hand, intentional or not.

If you miscall your hand, intentional or not, you should be subject to penalty. In this case, hero didn't. He called his hand correctly, and tabled the cards immediately. No problem. Hero should have kept the pot, though it was a nice low limit gesture to not contest it at the end.