Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 02:14 AM

Default GrunchCan Strikes MTT Gold (OT No Content)

WOO-HOO!

I'm posting this here becasue I owe about 50% of my gain in poker skill to this forum.

Party $100+9 MTT. 360 entrants. Came in 7th. $1440 payday.

Only reason I didn't go further is becasue I made a possible mistake on the last hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t3000 (7 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB (t53420)
UTG (t50172)
<font color="#C00000">MP1 (t49700)</font>
MP2 (t56416)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t28267)</font>
Button (t33168)
SB (t88857)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t11000</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero stupidly goes All In figuring this is his chance to move up in chip position. Villan calls.

Flop: (t32767) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t32767) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t32767) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t32767
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: t32767 (t32767), between MP1 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="#FFFFFF">Pot won by MP1 (t32767).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has As Kd (three of a kind, aces).
Hero has Kc Qh (one pair, aces).
Outcome: MP1 wins t32767. </font>

Edit: Zulu, let this serve as inspiration to you. If I can do it, so can you.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:17 AM

Default Re: GrunchCan Strikes MTT Gold (OT No Content)

congrats, nice finish.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:18 AM

Very nice. Did you buy-in directly or did you win entry through a satellite?

Great win, but I do think you made a big mistake on the last hand. What kind of reads did you have on villain?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:20 AM

Thats awesome. How long have you been at learning NL tourneys. I have zero interest in NL cash games but NL tournaments seem really awesome. I just bought Harrington on Holdem and am about 1/3 of the way through.

Good to see that you took your own advice and went for cash games instead of qualifying tournaments because it was clearly the thing to do. How much do you put aside for your tournament expenses because it sees like 100+9 is a big chunk of change to spend on buyin. Basically I'm just really interested on where you are now in your NL tourny game and where you have come from.

Congrats again, thats a lot of freakin money.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:22 AM

ni payday sir!
Old 03-23-2005, 02:25 AM

Fold this hand. At least you pushed all-in instead of just calling.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Very nice. Did you buy-in directly or did you win entry through a satellite?

Great win, but I do think you made a big mistake on the last hand. What kind of reads did you have on villain?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bought in directly. I'm now pretty much of the opinion that satellites are bad if you aren't a fish. I'm not saying I'm all that and a bag of chips, but I believe I am better than bad.

I did have a read that the villan was raising solid values PF at this stage. He was in EP, and there was little doubt that he wasn't bluffing, stealing or on a lark. But I also thought that if he had AA or KK, he would limp in or raise less, trying to get action.

I figured I was probably a coin flip, possibly way behind. I figured about 80% a slight to medium favorite, 15% a slight dog, 5% a big dog.

I was the short stack at the table, and I was becoming keenly aware of this fact. I figured I couldn't fold considering the sorts of hands the villan was coming in with in these spots. But if I called, I was pot committed. Going over the top seemed to be my best chance to win, so thats what I did. I was definitely not hoping for a call, and I felt that the villan would fold if he felt he was behind.

So that's why I did what I did. In short, I was going for the win. It was either the exact right play, or really, really stupid. I may post it in MTT and see what they think.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:31 AM

Nice one dude! I was planning on getting HoH tomorrow morning...have you read it and how much has it helped you?

Yeah that last hand is tough. I probably would have waited to see if someone else would bust out 1st. He is getting like 3:1 on his call so he isn't going to fold a lot of hands that you would like him to. Still though, good work duder.

Brad
Old 03-23-2005, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats awesome. How long have you been at learning NL tourneys. I have zero interest in NL cash games but NL tournaments seem really awesome. I just bought Harrington on Holdem and am about 1/3 of the way through.

Good to see that you took your own advice and went for cash games instead of qualifying tournaments because it was clearly the thing to do. How much do you put aside for your tournament expenses because it sees like 100+9 is a big chunk of change to spend on buyin. Basically I'm just really interested on where you are now in your NL tourny game and where you have come from.

Congrats again, thats a lot of freakin money.

[/ QUOTE ]

My educational experience consists of reading the MTT and NL forums a bit, HoH, TPFAP and the Ciaffone NL book (which isn't abnout tourneys, but helps the NL game). HoH is by far the best of the bunch in my opinion, but all are required reading. I'll also say that in order to be a good NL or NL tourney player, it's pretty much critical that you become a good limit player first. Without the knowledge you get from extensive limit play &amp; study, your NL game is on a foundation made of sand.

I've been working on NL tourneys seriously for about 1 month. I've played in maybe 10 tourneys of various formats, including SnGs, party's steps, multi table SnGs, freeroll and very low buyin MTTs and high stakes MTTs. Every tourney I play I feel like I'm noticably better than the tourney before. It's a lot of work to get through 360 people, but its also a lot of fun. I now think that I'm going to focus exclusively on high stakes cash tourneys and buyin directly. Limit play will still be my bread &amp; butter though.

How do I pay for my buyins? Actually, that's kind of funny. I play 3/6 and skim my profits there to pay for the buyins. My 2/4 and 3/6 rates are high enough to make this fairly easy. I dont enter a tourney until Iv'e actually pulled enough money off 3/6 and 2/4 to pay the whole buyin. It might not be conventional or the "right" way to roll tourneys, but its working for me.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was planning on getting HoH tomorrow morning...have you read it and how much has it helped you?

[/ QUOTE ]

HoH is huge. I would say HoH is to NL tourneys as SSH is to limit cash games. Its that important. But there's a lot of other stuff out there that has to be read too, even if some of it is a little dated or off topic.