Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2004, 10:55 AM

Default KJo EP good read on table

Last night I really got the hang of pushing people out of the pot. This is a good illustration.

My read on this table was it was very tight/passive. There were several folds to the BB, and everyone was getting out of the way of raises. A few hands prior to this one I had raised with j7o from one before the CO and stole the blinds.

Thus although normaly I would not play KJo from this position, I felt pretty comfortable that I would probably end up against the BB or just on other person.

I was overly aggressive on the hand, but keep in mind I had been playing this way for an hour or so and had stole alot of (small)pots, but had yet to get caught. Any comments appreciated.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
Old 07-30-2004, 10:59 AM

Default Re: KJo EP good read on table

maniac! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] that and even on a passive table i would not play kjo utg, if you run into a hand all those small pots you stole could become one big loss.. its hard to get away when you hit a king and you're eaten alive by dominating hands
Old 07-30-2004, 11:15 AM

I kind of had it in my head that if an A or K came up I would have to pull back. The cap was a bad idea; but in retrospect it probably saved the pot for me (I know results oriented).

But I guess the feedback I am looking for, is if you are confident in your read (which in this case was that the table was overly passive to the point of being timid), isn't it OK to do some questionable plays. In this case however, I will admit that I did overplay the hand regardless of the situation. However I think I had some table image built up by this time; people were just getting out of my way.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:15 PM

It's good that you are getting good reads on the table, but I would prefer a read on the individual players... have you seen button fold for 1 bet on the turn or river? What are his 3-betting standards?

Additionally, I think that KJ utg is stretching it a bit - if you run into KK or JJ, AK, etc, you aren't going to get a fold and it's going to get expensive. Being aggressive at a table like this is great, but I would pick a better spot.

Surf
Old 07-30-2004, 12:32 PM

agreed, I was a little euphoric at this point, because of all the small pots I had been able to buy. OVer my first 100 hands at this table I had won 15-18% of the hands and my win % when seeing the flop was in the low 40s... so yes by this time I was getting carried away.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:39 PM

ugh.

Push, push, push with a crap hand, get called by ace high on river, lose, say goodbye to 4.5 BB.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:42 PM

This whole hand digusts me. It won't show long term profit, especially at the low limits. And if you're at a table where you even think you can raise KJo UTG, you need to switch tables.

-Brian
Old 07-30-2004, 01:38 PM

I've been taught my lesson with KJo... don't do it. It really will make your life better. Late posistion folded to you play it for a raise... that's about it.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:01 PM

What is with all the KJo hands lately?

If you go through them all, I think you'll see many of the well respected posters saying the same thing. KJo is pooey, especially in EP.

Jeez, look what happened you got 3 bet, holding an inferior hand, and totally out of position.

You picked up a draw, and force fed it down the hand when you missed - it worked out for you this hand, but if you continue to play this way, you will bleed chips cery very quickly.

Remember this is Party Poker - and despite whatever read you had on the table, the table changes very quickly. You could have just as easily been called down by A2 and lose the pot on the river.

I hope the lesson you learn from this hand is not -

By aggressively playing my hands, even out of position, holding an inferior hand, I can force my oppoenent to fold to my constant betting

instead it should be:

Raising inferior hands out of position is not worth the money. I got lucky on the flop when I flopped an open end straight draw - however I missed my draw, and did not pair at all - while I got VERY lucky that my opponenet folded - in the end playing poor hands out of position, will cost me much money

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]