Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-21-2004, 09:24 AM

Default Trying to \"Lose\" - home game question

I got invited to play in a new home game last night for the first time. They are people I casually know through playing on sports teams, but rarely hang out with outside of that.

This situation seems unique, but I'm wondering if it's got some long term merit.

I have played for the last 2 weeks. They play 2 NLHE 1 Table tournaments. 8 people the first week, 9 the second.

$10 entry, 2nd $20, first place gets the rest.

The first week I played I took 1st the first game, and second the second. So I won $60 profit

Last night I took first the first game out of 9 People.

I really just played regular tournament tight ABC poker, and was way ahead of these guys. They would chase with any 2 suited, call with any Ace, etc.

It really should be easy money for me in the long term.

Which leads me to my "dilema" from last night.

Since I am still new, and would like to keep playing, and don't want to piss these people off, would it be worth it to maybe not bring my "A" game? loosen up my starting hands, chase a little more. This would just be for one game, maybe every 2 weeks, kind of ensure the fish get to win. Like last night, after cashing in 3 straight over 2 weeks, is the 4th game a good chance to "fluff" it?

I know it's -EV for the game, but if it's something I can win regualarly, is it +EV for the long term?

Or should I just say screw it, play until they kick me out?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Trying to \"Lose\" - home game question

Are they acting like they are getting P.O.'ed? Are you being real humble and saying things like how lucky you've been, can't believe the great cards you are getting, etc.? When you river a flush that they have given you odds to chase make sure you point how lucky you are getting. I would think that at some point no matter how much better you are then them you will lose without trying to dump. Bad cards, a bad beat, see you later. If your streak continues too long then maybe you do want to try to dump one.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:44 AM

well they were starting to get a little frustrated last night as I built up my chip stack. I don't think they notice how often I fold, so when I have AQ vs. their A5, I tell them "lucky deal" for me. If I hit a flush that they forgot to bet the river with their top 2, I'd just shrug and tell them I had a hunch. I always play very humble, and try to keep the conversation to things besides the cards.

I know long term I won't place every one, but after 3 in a row (on my first 3 playing) I was wondering if #4 was a good place.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:44 AM

Dosnt matter how good you are and how bad they are you will lose at some point anyway.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:47 AM

I know this. and I don't expect to win them all. But since I'm a newb at their game, don't want to piss them off right off the bat.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:14 AM

If I really thought there was a chance that I was in danger of not getting invited back, then I would dump the 4th game. But if you're being a gracious winner and engaging in a lively conversation not related to the game then I wouldn't think they would kick you out for doing well. So what happened in the 4th game?
Old 10-21-2004, 10:22 AM

I dumped it. But not because I thought it was the "best long term play".

I dumped it because I had a long day of work and wasn't really in the mood for another 1 1/2 of poker. I finished 7th, and left about 5-10 minutes after busting out. I wasn't bitter, and pushed a hand against a big stack where I knew he would only call me if he was ahead.

I didn't feel comfortable winning the first game, and ditching the 2nd. They always play 2, so I kind of knew the deal, I just wasn't in the mood to play the second game, but didn't want to win and ditch.

On the way home I was just wondering if it would help me in the long term. That's why I posted this.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:52 AM

I have done the same thing. I play a weekly 7-8 person tournament with some guys from school and can pretty much beat it at will due to their generally weak play. So after a few first or second places in a row, I take a dive, just so they don't get too frustrated with me.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:56 AM

Alcohol is the great equalizer. Bring drinks and start drinking. Try to play your "A" game. After a few drinks, your "A" game will deteriorate, but you'll still play well enough to win more often than not. Make sure you're having fun. If you have fun, it takes the sting out of losing.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:31 PM

I do this with a semi-regular game I play with some friends. I will place in the money 2 or 3 times in a row (usually 1st), then I will do a massive flameout the next session, bluff like a maniac with crap and get caught (of course, since they will call you down with anything to "keep you honest"), that sort of thing... when I first started playing, I played solid ABC poker, but after a couple of session there started to be some grumbling from the rest of the table. I like playing with them, we are all friends, so it makes sense to me to lose a session here and there intentionally (along with the more rare loss because the cards go super cold on me or getting nailed on bad beats) to give the crazy loose players a chance to win from time to time - gives them hope and reason to keep playing.

It's still a +EV game for me overall, so I can't complain, plus it's a night out of the house.

(Mind you, if this was a game against strangers, I would kill it everytime until they stop inviting me. But that's a different story entirely.)