Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 10-21-2004, 05:12 PM

Default rebuy strategy

looking at playing some of the $3 rebuys on poker stars to try for the WPT carribean event. Whats the best way to do rebuys. Call BB first hand and rebuy immediately and then add on during the break?

Or play it for what it's worth and go from there?
Old 10-21-2004, 08:17 PM

Default Re: rebuy strategy

You should probably rebuy right away, I do not think you have to lose any to rebuy, since others will and you want to be able to take their chips if you can. Also do the add-on.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:45 PM

well, first tourney on PS in a long time, so I opted to just get used to the interface again. Heck, it's only 3 bucks right? LOL.

Well, I finished 19 of 188 without rebuying or adding on. Some timely all in's while short stacked but not really bad hands to push.

I made a bad play with AKo, maybe not bad, but never imagined the player was calling 3xBB with J9s, and raised me on the flop, with second pair. I made KK on the turn, he hit 2nd pair on the river, oh well. Probably should have got out when the flop missed.

Final hand was KTs against I think KQo. Oh well. Thanks this forum am getting better.

GL all.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:15 AM

On PS you can rebuy with your starting chip amount, most touraments are "unlimited rebuys with 1500 OR less chips". So rebuy before the first hand is dealt. If you drop to T$1500 or below rebuy.

Think of it this way... you get AA and a guy before you gets AQ and he has T$3000, would you rather play him with T$1500 or T$3000?

Also take the add-on. The $3 rebuy for the Sunday $250K has a cap on the add-on, i.e. if you have >T$20,000 at the break you can not add-on. I do not know if this is the case with the WPT sats or not, but you can find out in the tourament info page on the tourament lobby.

Considering the VERY few seats that are going to be available in these, I think it would be a good strat to build as big a stack as soon as possible during the rebuy. I have watched a couple of these in the final hours, and I have not seen one yet that had more than 3 seats. Which means it is almost a winner take all tourament.

Chips are everything. Considering that these small buy-in rebuys tend to get pretty wild/loose during the rebuy, take advantage of that. Like you said "its only $3" and if you get your chips in with the best hand and get sucked out, big deal, rebuy and know that the odds where with you and next time you will be the one ranking the pot instead of the fool playing any two. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Also many people have a really hard time switching gears from rebuy mode to solid player after the rebuy, so again take advantage of this. A lot of times the wild people during the first hour that have big stacks bust out before the end of the second hour.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:50 AM

To me, a Stars 3+R tournament is actually a $9 tournament with a (self-imposed) restriction of one rebuy. If I have to rebuy I do it for $6. I have always taken the add-on.

Tonight I cashed, so I went and padded my roll with some of the tournament bucks on SnG's. I'm going to be trying the 11+R tomorrow night as I feel I'm on a rush and want to take a little bit of a shot. Are the friday night 11+R tournaments about like the 3+R weeknight tournaments?
Old 10-22-2004, 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are the friday night 11+R tournaments about like the 3+R weeknight tournaments?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a word, no.

To start with they are turbo's with the blinds going up every five minutes. You start with T1000 and not T1500, add-on is at 30mins and is T1500. The play is a little better in the rebuy period, not so many Ax all-ins and the like, but you still see your fair share of them. You are more likely to see A(T or greater) and just about any PP.

Where the real difference comes in is the post rebuy. You need to stay ahead of the blinds, which later in the tourament with slow play/stalling can be a blind increase on every hand. So you have to stay ahead and/or double up repeatedly to place ITM. It can be a real craps shoot unless you do some chip gathering during the first hour.

Just imagine you are sitting with T20,000 in chips on a full table and the BB is T2000 which you just folded your 72o to a raise (you see one on every hand at this point), now you have T18,000 and get junk in the SB and have to fold, now you are at <T17,000 (antes remember). If the game is slowing down at this point, chances are pretty good that by the time you are in the BB again, you are looking at either T12,000 or T20,000 blinds. Guess what unless you have doubled up or stolen to stay ahead of the blinds you are all-in here with any two.

There is a point near the bubble where if you have enough chips you can just sit out. There will be 4-10 people that will be forced all-in on blinds or antes before you are blinded out. Knowing when that point is is the trick.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:43 AM

i see your points.

At my first table last night I know there was 3 people who rebought at least 6 times. They had 3000 when i sat down and i saw them bust twice and reload. I still finished higher than them.

Most of these have been top 2 qualify and 3rd gets balance of entry fee. $650 per qualifying spot. My tourney last night was something like $490 to 3rd place.

Is there anyway to go back on PS and see who won past tournaments?
Old 10-22-2004, 01:02 PM

Yeah, you can just go back to the tournament lobby the next day and look at it, or in the menus: Requests -> Tournament History and get tournament summaries. If you request a number of them (can't remember the number), you'll recieve the full summary for the first few, and a condensed summary for the rest.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:02 PM

Do a search of eMarkM's posts.
He has few very good ones on rebuy strategy.

Regards,
Woodguy