Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-21-2004, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Trying to \"Lose\" - home game question

As someone who's struggling really hard to improve my game and climb out of the low limits online, and playing some tough live games with some really competitive friends, these kind of posts really get to me - what kind of poker player thinks he's so great he's got to be a martyr and try and lose for the good of the game? If you're so good then take them for every cent they own and enjoy it - you earned it! Play with good grace and it's not your problem if they get miffed at losing. You might not find it so easy though - when I play with my girlfriend and her mum for fun (and I never soft-play them!) I can do everything 'right' and still lose to someone who'll play every hand, only to stop halfway through and ask if you can make a straight from Queen to Three, via the Ace ...
Old 10-21-2004, 01:27 PM

That's me right there. At my home games, I drink like a damn fish.

WiteKnite
Old 10-21-2004, 01:32 PM

First of all, at least in my case, I never said or implied that I was great, rather, I said that the opposition was very poor. Second, and probably more importantly, I think maintaining friendships is more important than a few extra bucks a week. That weekly game is merely a social occasion. Don't get me wrong, I still make sure I make money at it, but I'm not going to beat it for all its worth because there's plenty of other fish out there to make money from (namely not my friends).
Old 10-21-2004, 01:57 PM

work on any part of your game that may need some attention. Play solid, but don't give your chips away.

Losing once in awhile may not be a bad thing.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As someone who's struggling really hard to improve my game and climb out of the low limits online, and playing some tough live games with some really competitive friends, these kind of posts really get to me - what kind of poker player thinks he's so great he's got to be a martyr and try and lose for the good of the game? If you're so good then take them for every cent they own and enjoy it - you earned it! Play with good grace and it's not your problem if they get miffed at losing. You might not find it so easy though - when I play with my girlfriend and her mum for fun (and I never soft-play them!) I can do everything 'right' and still lose to someone who'll play every hand, only to stop halfway through and ask if you can make a straight from Queen to Three, via the Ace ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the original poster meant that he was the next Doyle Brunson, just that the other players are weak. As to beating the game and "taking them for every cent" I'll quote Amarillo Slim on you, "You can shear a sheep many times, you can only skin it once".
Old 10-21-2004, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

(Mind you, if this was a game against strangers, I would kill it everytime until they stop inviting me. But that's a different story entirely.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the key. Against strangers, or even if there were to be a regular 2+2 game I wouldn't care how often I won. Althought I doubt I'd win often in a regular 2+2 game.

My friendship with them is worth more than the extra CD I could buy at Target each week.

I am not a big drinker, and almost never drink when I play, but maybe I'll give that a shot, a little more fun with my poker.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:26 PM

I suppose it's fair enough you don't want to lose any friends, but if they're really your friends you can be honest with them and be open about everyone's respective ability. I'd be a lot worse player if I didn't have the benefit of some blunt criticism from some of my friends who are better than me. Obviously no one likes being told how they should or shouldn't have played a particular hand, but if you're the best player, give advice and reading recommendations if you're asked for it. Friends might appreciate that and respect you more than if you turn up at their game and don't take it seriously.

And I know that no one's claiming to be the greatest player ever - I just don't think that soft-playing is anything those aspiring to be great players should be doing.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:32 PM

The two tournaments you came in first and second, you averaged a $35 profit. If you lose some on purpose, you will average even less. If you want to socialize, that is fine. However, if you are good enough to crush this, you could probably do better playing in a cardroom or online.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:40 PM

Like I stated - my reason for dumping was that i didn't feel like sitting through the second tournament last night, I was more tired than I though. I also didn't want to "win and ditch" on just my second week.

to your other point, I do play online, and tend to do quite well there. I enjoy the "second income" I get from poker, but by no means support myself by it.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As someone who's struggling really hard to improve my game and climb out of the low limits online, and playing some tough live games with some really competitive friends, these kind of posts really get to me - what kind of poker player thinks he's so great he's got to be a martyr and try and lose for the good of the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

To respond - I don't consider myself a great poker player, but I do well at the low limits both online and B&M. I consider these "poker nights" to be a social occassion, as everybody else does at the game... we are all laughing, telling stories, and having a good time. I do give pointers as we play for really eggregious play, but none of these guys have any illusions of playing poker anywhere else. We are all there for fun - it isn't a "serious" game, and nobody wants it to be. If I kill the game 75-80% of the sessions, then the games will die off, as nobody wants to lose everytime.

The only guy I know at the table who is taking it to the next step and playing online I've taken aside and I am helping him... pointing out when he plays hands poorly during our sessions, for example (away from the table). It is one thing to take money from friends overall playing a friendly game, another thing to let one of them blow money playing "for real" online.