Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Bleh - Suicide Pool Opinions, please

Hey all:

So, this is my first tough decision. I'm in a pool that started 3rd week, 15 runners left. My used picks are:

eagles, bengals, colts, seahawks, redskins, patriots, jaguars, steelers, cowboys, bears, chargers, vikings

So now, via Pinnacle, I'm left with 3 9 point favorites:

Broncos @ Bills
Dolphins hosting Jets
Panthers @ Saints

I am very iffy on Miami. I'd really like to take Carolina, which would leave me with the Broncos next week hosting the Raiders. However, the Panthers haven't looked great.

Any opinions on these three games?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 12-14-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Bleh - Suicide Pool Opinions, please

Miami easy. They looked pretty good last week and the Jets are pitiful. Dont let the win against a distraught oakland team fool you.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:41 PM

I have that same pick--Miami @ the Jets. I have concerns about Miami too--but I also don't have the Panther's pick. The Panthers might be a better choice.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:02 PM

all three games are fairly close on the moneyline, but overall Miami is the highest at -400 and they're the only ones playing at home. the Dolphins are riding a huge wave of confidence after beating San Diego, and while the Jets improved slightly last week, they lost Martin for the season and I would definitely favor the fish in a close game (which I doubt will happen anyway). I personally feel that the other two games are a lot closer than 9 points apart. buffalo's home field is never to be underestimated, and the Saints - while obviously never dominating, do have servicable scoring options and a underrated pass defense. plus, they BEAT the panthers in Week 1 on the road!
Old 12-15-2005, 12:42 AM

Thanks for the opinions guys. Now that Aaron Brooks is benched for the year, the Carolina pick is looking better. I think I am going with the Fins though.

Jason
Old 12-15-2005, 01:30 PM

i am in the same position
i have carolina over the saints
or i can change it to miami over the jets

i am thinking of choosing Carolina but i would really appreciate any opinions...remember, all i need is the team to win the game...no spreads

my big question is does the saints QB change help them (give them someone new to play for a win) or does it hurt them (inexperienced qb who isnt very good)
thankyou all
Old 12-15-2005, 02:47 PM

Eh, I basically coinflipped it. Ended up going with the Dolphins. They are at home, and last week they looked impressive and they feel like they still have something to play for. Good luck either way.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:04 PM

since the saints announced the QB change as well as Haslett's resignation (though he remains coach until the end of the season), the Panthers moneyline has been bet down to -420, which now makes it slightly better pick than the Dolphins, at least mathematically speaking.

of the four teams involved in these two games, Carolina is the only one that "must" win this weekend (though miami still has a slim outside chance of winning the AFC east). on top of that, they're now reading the newspaper realizing that the Saints are on their knees and virtually sitting ducks in their own home. after underachieving at home against Tampa last week, the Panthers will probably be one of the most formidable road opponents of the season here.

with the dolphins game, it's not so much that they are good (though their record is finally catching up with their stats), but how BAD the jets are, especially on the road. Bollinger has not thrown a SINGLE touchdown pass away from the meadowlands ALL SEASON, they've scored 7 points or less in 5 out of 6 road games, and they've lost all of those games by 10 points or more, including a combined 73-6 in their last 3 away. Frerotte on the other hand, just had his best game of the season (if not his whole damn career), and if he finds chambers in the end zone more than once, this game is over. even if miami's defense isn't up to snuff, they still have a lot more offensive weapons to win in a shootout, just like they have in the last three games.

you could argue that both of these games are still a coinflip, but the unwritten suicide pool rules still dictate that you favor a team playing at home. my pick is still Miami.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:13 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=4203198
Old 12-15-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, I basically coinflipped it. Ended up going with the Dolphins. They are at home, and last week they looked impressive and they feel like they still have something to play for. Good luck either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can still change it, do so.
Next week Miami hosts Tenn, which is looking to be the best matchup for nextweek - so if you can save Miami for a week, do so.

edit: actually there is also Denver hosting Oakland the following week. also a nice choice you have.