Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 10-22-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Rebuying newbie needing advice for micro buyin tourny.

Hi all.
Next wednesday im going to be playing in a 1£ rebuy tournament at my student poker society. I know this is micro stakes but i cant imagine the prize pool getting biiiig.

I can imagine there being around 40 people and rebuys being frenzied. The structure is going to be starting stack T1000
and blinds at 25-50. Rebuys will be for the first hour. I see there being £300-500 being in the pot after add-ons has done.

What should my strategy be in terms of hand selection and preflop strategy? If i take about 10 buyins and willing to use them all should i be playing almost any two suited cards/ one gappers/connectors/ 2 face cards/ good aces/ pocket pairs?

I want to be sat with a decent stack by the end of rebuys- what advice would you suggest to give me the best chances of success in a fun tournament like this?
Old 10-22-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Rebuying newbie needing advice for micro buyin tourny.

It depends on how much you want to rebuy. Some people go super aggro and push a lot hoping to double up quickly. I prefer to get into the pot cheap preflop with pairs, suited connectors etc. Postflop I get away from the hand if I don't connect. When you flop a monster, depending on the table you could slow play it or play it fast because you'll get lots of callers trying to hit their runner runner. Some will, but don't be discouraged. If you get big PP, AKs go ahead and push, because you'll get callers. I'll take a few races if the pot is big enough and the rebuy is cheap enough. For me it's the feel of the table; tighter tables you can get to loosen up with some agro moves. Looser tables, wait for your monster and ring them up.
Kind of a rambling answer, but hopefully you get the picture.