Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 07:12 AM

Default Who loses in the \"Big game\"?

All these pro's playing in the Big Game.. Who are they taking their money from?

How do these games remain fishy enough to be profitable.. Texas Oil Billionaires and Michael Jordan?
Old 07-27-2005, 09:03 AM

Default Re: Who loses in the \"Big game\"?

Probably. I was thinking about the same when i saw Grey's Villa in Poker Superstars II =)
Old 07-27-2005, 09:09 AM

This has been discussed hundreds of times already. You assume all of the pros who play in the "big game" are winners. That assumption is wrong.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:29 AM

Even though they are for the most part all "name" pros doesn't mean all of them belong in the Big Game. They do well at slightly lower limits and move to the Big Game and lose. I guess it is an ego thing. Of all the name pros I like Todd Brunson approach the best, he calls himself lazy and doesn't want to work that hard, he plays in games he thinks he has the biggest and doesn't feel the need the play at the highest levels even though he could afford it and probably do okay there.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:59 AM

calls himself lazy and doesn't want to work that hard

finally, a pro i can relate to.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:34 AM

the summary of previous threads was that:

the best player at the table might have an expectation of 1/4 of a big bet per hour...

$8k in the BB so maybe $2000/hr... playing 1000 hrs a year, the expectation is +$2mm with annual variance of something on the order of $7mm... so despite being the best player in the game with the best expecation, you might easily lose -$5mm in a year just due to running moderately bad.

these pros are just playing in the game for an ego snack and jerking each other off unless a whale comes to town.

it makes sense to hype this 'big game' so that whales will come in and donate to the group.

in fact, it would be a good strategy to just pretend you are playing a 'big game' all the time and then really play only when a whale comes to town.

some of these guys will claim they are winners in the big game but very few can make such claims with statistical confidence given how many hands it takes to accurately do so...

Barry G and Chip Reese are the guys most hotly rumored to actually have an edge in this game. Maybe others do too but the edge might be 1/12th of a BB with variance that dwarfs the benefit of bothering to play in this game.

(Barry G has stated on these threads that he is a winner in this game but that others would claim he has 'run lucky' -- which I found to be an odd statement as it does essentially nothing to refute any idea that they are just jerking each other off).
Old 07-27-2005, 11:51 AM

Default larry flynt and jerry buss are the biggest contributers

ive never seen an open seat in larry's game and when jerry is around a full game follows closely.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: larry flynt and jerry buss are the biggest contributers

[ QUOTE ]
ive never seen an open seat in larry's game and when jerry is around a full game follows closely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats in LA, I thought only Barry Greenstein and maybe Ivey played in that one regularly. They are talking about the Bellagio big game with Brunson, Reece, Harman, Gaing, etc.

RZ
Old 07-27-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: larry flynt and jerry buss are the biggest contributers

I'm sure there are plenty of people that show up to vegas with 250k-500k that sit down at that table and lose it just to say they sat in the seat.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:41 PM

Late last year Doyle won a big tourney. He remarked at the time that it kept him from recording his first losing year in awhile. So, I suspect Doyle lost a fair share last year in the big game.