Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: What is the magic number for JohnnyHumongous?

[ QUOTE ]
I still can't understand how business or law or insert technical job here can be rewarding or fun. Your being paid alot to do your job because no one else finds it interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this statement. You are paid a lot because you have a rare talent. You are paid a lot not because no one else finds the job interesting, but because no one else can do the job.

Paul

Disclosure: My viewpoint is somewhat biased. I have a degree in chemical engineering and currently work in that field.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm all with threeonefour here. 750k+ of capital is perilously close to "independently wealthly" status.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it is not. If you think 750K makes you independently wealthy, you have a very skewed idea of how much it takes to survive, let alone have a decent standard of living.

750K saved, plus a steady decent income on the other hand has decent possibilities.

However if somebody gave me 750K right now; I would still be at work the next morning.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:05 PM

i think the attitude that this 22 year old needs to 'quick get his foot in the door' in the bunsiness world is not valid. Too many people get wrapped up in quickly finishing the journey to success, but success is a journey, not a destination, so... quit running -

the fact is, this guy obviously has the goods, Ivy League degree, out of school job offer that is basically non-existent anymore in terms of dollars, does anyone really think he's blowing his chance in life if he decides to move to some tropical island and do something he loves to do, play poker... I think someone with his obvious merit shouldn't have too much trouble doing what they want, when they are ready to do it -

there shouldn't be a 'magic' number for him, his 'numbers' will come, if he decides that 'numbers'(cash) is what he's most interested in -

another thing I'd like to mention is the notion of 'golden handcuffs'. Now this will probably come of as whiny to anyone who has ever struggled to make ends meet... but... for someone like the original poster, with his credentials, this is a real issue - take a job with a huge salary... one only available in a particular industry.. and your lifestyle will grow to meet the salary you are making...

then if you decide that you hate the industry, and want to get out, you'll find youself a prisoner of your own lifestyle, locked in 'golden handcuffs'... god forbid you have a family... cause they will surely be locked in your golden handcuffs along with you... and won't be all to understanding if you want to break free -

all in all - hes 22, a long life ahead of him, why start the 'race' right now, hes got the legs to catch up should he decide to join late
Old 04-05-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re:What I would do...

Play poker during summer season!
Work the other seasons!
Old 04-05-2005, 02:02 PM

Yeah, I have *very* inexpensive tastes, so I probably am skewed a bit. But investing 750k wisely + a couple of hours of poker a day would definitely do it for me.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:38 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

$1,000,000
Old 04-05-2005, 02:44 PM

I think that's too high. I think it's more like 500,000.*

Actually, this totally depends on his social network. I think the 500 is enough if he knows some people, or will meet other people while playing who could help him get some kind of decent job (not an elite consulting job, but a job he could enjoy) either poker related or not in a couple of years ifpoker dries up.

If he makes millions, this won't be necessary, as that story/life expereince would be enough to get many jobs; that and the investment income would be enough to sustain life, supplemented with a low paying/relaxing but interesting job.

Rambling a bit here....
Old 04-05-2005, 02:53 PM

Take the job.

My situation was sort of similar to yours....kind of.

I garduated from an Ivy league institution last year. I wasn't interested in I banking and the like, I wasn't really sure what the hell I wanted to do. Thought aobut law school, ended up deciding that wasn't for me at this point.

So I played poker a little after school, but I basically just putzed around. I got my [censored] together, explored a few diff. career paths and found something I was really interested in, and started working in 2005. It doesn't pay that well, but it's fun, has the potential for a lot of advancement.

In fact, now that I'm working 45 hrs/week or so, I play more poker than I did in the summer before I started working. I play like 8-15 hrs/wk and will make more $ from poker than I do at this job, but the job provides so much value such as making me employable in the future, setting me up on a long term career path, and networking/meeting people my age and older, who can help me down the road either get a job, start a company whatever. In short...do both for now.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the fact is, this guy obviously has the goods, Ivy League degree, out of school job offer that is basically non-existent anymore in terms of dollars, does anyone really think he's blowing his chance in life if he decides to move to some tropical island and do something he loves to do, play poker... I think someone with his obvious merit shouldn't have too much trouble doing what they want, when they are ready to do it -

[/ QUOTE ]

the trouble is that there are a thousand other guys just like him, who will go and get immediate experience at interesting careers. JH will have to compete with these guys in a few years when he finds a job that he wants. Invariably, any job JH will want will be a prestigious/high paying job, and he'll be competing against more qualified people than him.

he can't just play poker for 3 years then decide to work for Bain or Mckinsey or whoever b/c he's a smart guy w/ a good degree - it doesn't work like that.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:45 PM

what do you do?