Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Missing with Overcards Out of Position

Villian is nothing special, slightly too loose preflop and with marginal aggression postflop. He is capable of bluffing into weakness, but there are so many people in the pot bluffing is pretty ill advised. Is this an auto-call down based on this limited information? What about the flop call?

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $20.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds, UTG+2 folds, MP2 folds.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB
Old 09-01-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Missing with Overcards Out of Position

There are hands, such as big suited connectors, that I will raise in limped multi-way pots from the blinds; AQo is not one of them since I'll need to flop to the hand to continue.

That said, I think you should either bet or fold on the flop, and not check-call.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:10 PM

I think once you checked the flop you need to raise the bet behind you to clear out the other people.

I sometimes lead out with this time of hand on the flop. I don't think its a bad play. Depends on number of players, type of flop and their aggression.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:22 PM

I'd check the AQo in the BB here. Pot is multiway and you don't have position.

On the flop I'd check to see the action. Since the bet came from the last player and the pot is big, I'd raise here to limit the flop. Since the bettor was a poster, he has somewhat of a random hand. I think there's a better chance he has a pair, but a much better one that he does not have you reverse dominated.

I'd bet (fold to raise most likely)the Turn no matter what fell. If no A or Q by the river I'd check/call.

Thoughts on this line?