Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 03:21 AM

Default Are there any softer 2/4 6MAX games than Party?

Stars maybe? Bodog? Prima?

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Are there any softer 2/4 6MAX games than Party?

Prima is ok but I can't imagine it being as soft as the Party games (which I haven't played).

Doyles Room seemed ok, if you can handle the ugly software.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:09 AM

6 max on doyles was paradise

why did i think i wanted ptracker....:-/
Old 05-18-2005, 06:29 PM

The Stars games are pretty fishy, although they play differently than Party. Many players buy in for $80 and just dump it and leave. Players are constantly minbetting or otherwise greatly underbetting the pot. Many players simply will not put pressure on you postflop, because they'd rather milk another tiny bet out of you than risk having you fold to a larger bet. That's not to say that there are not some players there that know what they are doing, but the poorer players there are simply handing over their money.

For example, one guy called my raise in the BB with QTo. Flop was QQx and we both checked. He made quads on the turn and we both checked. Blank on the river and we both checked.

Pretty hard to lose much money to people that won't even bet their quads...
Old 05-18-2005, 06:41 PM

Well, I think the way he played it, I'm sure he thought you were holding the Joker....
Old 05-19-2005, 05:27 AM

was there a straight flush out there?
Old 05-19-2005, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Stars games are pretty fishy, although they play differently than Party. Many players buy in for $80 and just dump it and leave. [ QUOTE ]
Players are constantly minbetting or otherwise greatly underbetting the pot

[/ QUOTE ]. Many players simply will not put pressure on you postflop, because they'd rather milk another tiny bet out of you than risk having you fold to a larger bet. That's not to say that there are not some players there that know what they are doing, but the poorer players there are simply handing over their money.

For example, one guy called my raise in the BB with QTo. Flop was QQx and we both checked. He made quads on the turn and we both checked. Blank on the river and we both checked.

Pretty hard to lose much money to people that won't even bet their quads...

[/ QUOTE ]

i find this absolutely correct, i've been playing party 50nl 6max for the past few months (8bb/100 over 30k hands), and have been playing stars new 6max tables to clear a bonus, and i must say the betting that i've seen is just plain ridiculously small. I know my sample size is small, but it seems like the whole 'small bet' thing is contagious on the site, there will be 5$ pots on the flop and constantly people betting 2.50 or 4 at the most.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:35 PM

Betting $2.50 into a $5 pot isn't that ridiculous.

On one hand I played, I had limped with something behind other players and flopped top two pair. I think five of us saw the flop... I'm guessing at the exact figures, but the betting went something like this: Guy bets $4, I raise to $20, others fold, he calls. On the turn there's $60 in the pot, he bets $12, I raise to $50, he calls. On the river he bets $12 again, and the double stop n go is setting off warning bells and I just call; he has bottom set.

On another hand that I saw (I had folded preflop or on the flop), some guy bet the flop, second guy minraised... both players checked the turn and rivers, and the second guy had bottom set.

The board was not terribly scary in either hand.

This is the type of absurd passive play that seems to be typical of many Stars players...