Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Ahhh, baseball. NYY vs Red Sox

[ QUOTE ]
Cashman has been a terrific GM; his record speaks for itself. But he (Steinbrenner?) has made mistakes with the pitching staff the last year or so. Leiber should indeed have been resigned. They took a giant chance taking him on as a rehab project in the first place and once he started pitching creditably they let him go.

The Weaver/Brown trade doesn't look very good either. Weaver will never be a big star but he ceratainly could have been a serviceable 3rd or 4th starting pitcher, as he is now with the Dodgers. Why pick up a 39-year old pitcher?

Ditto with the Randy Johnson trade. Vasquez may not be quite as good as they hoped he would be, but he will win another 100 games in his career, a lot more than Randy will. Halsey was good enough to be called up mid-season last year and may also be decent.

Likewise, the Loaiza trade looks bad. Contreras, according to Torre, had "electrifying" stuff.

I never understood why they didn't start El Duque in the Boston series. He was throwing and they judged Brown was the better risk. Feh. He was by far their best pitcher in the second half last year.

The team simply doesn't have good enough starting pitching to make the post-season.

[/ QUOTE ]

your usually right on, but i am skeptical of cashman being a "great gm". sure, george has a ton of input on who gets signed and traded for, but you cant absolve cashman of the bad ones and give him credit for the good ones. a great GM to me is someone who finds value and/or makes schrewd deals. those two qualities dont invoke thoughts of cashman.

im sure you know more than i do, but off the top of me head i can think of:

pavano (bad)
womack (bad)
giambi (bad)
RJ (bad)
brown (bad)
felix rodriguez (bad)
steve karsay (bad)
aaron boone (bad) (please spare me the LCS crap)
gary sheffield (good)
matsui (good)
contreaes (no way that can be called a success)
el duque (good)
clemens (good)
mussina (good)
leiber (walking, bad)
brousious (of course a coup)
knobloauch (?????)
arod (good)

anyone else got more?