Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 12:40 PM

Default What should I read after SSHE?

I have been playing the micro limits 8 weeks now. I have already read Hold'em Poker (4 times), SSHE (2 times) and TOP. I also reread SSHE all the time (I have actually read the best 1/3 of SSHE maybe 4 - 6 times). I’m planning to keep on rereading SSHE on the side.

I have already decided to buy HEFAP. But because I have to order English books overseas, I get more value to my money if I buy at least two books at once.

I play only fixed online microlimit hold’em.

Having said that , what should I purchase:

Poker Essays?

Super system?

Other suggestions?
Old 06-05-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: What should I read after SSHE?

if ur playing micro limits i dont think the books you want to read will benefit you at the micro tables...stick with SSH and keep rereading it...
Old 06-05-2005, 03:11 PM

Theory of Poker or Harrington on Hold'em(if you want to try no-limit)
Old 06-05-2005, 03:29 PM

Theory of Poker is a must. Other than that there is nothing that really will increase your win rate at the micro and small stakes. However, reading it from another perspective helps alot of people.

I'd recommend Theory of Poker, Ciaffone's Middle Limit Hold'em and Improve Your Poker. If you want broader books the Essays are good, as is Sklansky on Poker. Gambling Theory and Other Topics is useful as well as Getting the Best of It.

The single best thing you can do for your poker skill is posting and reading the relevant forum for hand histories here. Either micro limits (0.01/0.02-1/2) or Small stakes (2/4-15/30). Discuss hands, think about hands, read about hands, post hands for critique. Spend as much time as possible going through all the subtleties of specific hands.

This is where we have it so much better than the players of yore. All the books are good, but forums such as this are truly amazingly excellent.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:34 PM

The Da Vinici Code
Give yourself a break and a chance to absorb what you have read in SSHE. If you are like many of us you will go from Poker book to Poker book and the concepts you learn will start to melt together into a confusing mess.

You have read the definative guide to low limit poker, use what you have learned for a while and perhaps go back and read it again before going on to the next book.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:59 PM

I have allready read Theory of Poker (TOP). Even if it was a book of general concepts i did find it very usefull.

[ QUOTE ]
if ur playing micro limits i dont think the books you want to read will benefit you at the micro tables...stick with SSH and keep rereading it...

[/ QUOTE ]

I will keep on rereading SSHE, cause it improves my game so much, but there are 3 different reasons why i wish to read other books on the side.

1) I read poker books maybe 1 - 2 h/ day. Lately i have realised that i can read maybe 1 h/day SSHE whitout losing consentration, cause it can be the 7th time that i read the same chapter. Also i cannot use that time to going thorough my hands or posting this forum, cause the most of that time i'm on my way to work or back. Gettins new books would help me use more of that time reading poker.

2)Someday I intend to go to bigger leves if/when my sample size/win rate allows. so i bet reading more adwanced books would not go in vain.

3) in my level in the tables where i play there are allways maybe 3-4 players who have read books, use PT and probably are better players than i am. Sometimes when everybody else folds i am solely against them (I also fregently come across blind stealin attemps etc.) Whit more advanced books, i seek to get an edge against them.

I inted to play only 10 - max fixed (sometimes i fool around in the really small no-limit games), trying to learn at to play decent at least in one game.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Da Vinici Code

[/ QUOTE ]

Did not even think about that. That is actually a good advice, cause i think that i need some time to digest these concepts.

Wont order it overseas thought, cause reading in Finnish is much more relaxing...
Old 06-05-2005, 05:55 PM

Getting a bit off topic here - but read Angels and Demons first, Da Vinci is the 2nd in the series!

Mat
Old 06-05-2005, 11:47 PM

Internet Texas Hold Em is also geared towards the micro fixed limit ring format. I personally think it is complimentary to SSHE, rather than competitive to it. would consider that for the level you're currently at before delving into any of the "...For Advanced Players" type of stuff.

Theory of Poker is definitely a must for your poker career in the long run, but you don't necessarily have to read it YET. and I wouldn't expect someone to fully understand it the first time they read it either.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:20 AM

Getting Started in Hold'em is a great book. I reccomend it to everybody, no matter how much money you make. You should read that book next.