Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 11-28-2005, 12:13 PM

Default What to do when you run bad???

Little background.....

I have been playing constantly 1/2 and 2/4 for about 8 months now and have consistently been winning and paying a couple of our household's bills with it. Along with being a little bonus whore it has been good.

I entered a tournament for $240 that was a live tournament and didn't cash, which was probably a mistake there cause that's such a huge amount of my roll. Anyways i went on a skid through the month of november and lost about 150-200BB during this month. Mostly on bad luck from what i can tell.

Anyways i put my last 100 for now in Pokerstars and am playing the .50/1 tables and still running into rediculous luck there as well and down to $40 and ready to quit all together.
The sample size on Stars is only about 2000K hands so i can't' tell anything off of a sample size that small.

Im sure alot of guys have had similar experiences with something like this..

Any suggestions or ideas for me to get back on track??
Old 11-28-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Re: What to do when you run bad???

When I run bad I play above my limits and lose 90% of my bankroll, then have to start over. No joke, it really sucks.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:51 PM

link

Krishan
Old 11-28-2005, 05:18 PM

Playing without adequate bankroll is definitely something to avoid - whether you're running good, bad, or average. If you're properly bankrolled for 2/4 it means your starting roll is at least $1200. Assuming you were there, then yeah - playing one live multi for 20 percent of your total roll was pretty bad.

At the moment, playing .5/1 with only 100 BB's is not great either. Get adequately rolled...then every little thing that goes against you won't feel like such a big deal. That's Step 1. Step 2 is to examine your game and study hard to fix leaks. Step 3 is to make sure your head is right. I was recently put on a four-day weekend by my pyschologist girlfriend because I went into each set expecting ridiculous things to happen to me and I had been playing every single day for four months straight. After the four-day weekend, many of my problems were solved...certain things still did go wrong, of course (NL SnG's can have funny things happen on preflop all-ins), but after what was, for me, a protracted break...each incident didn't seem like such a big deal to me.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:45 AM

you didnt have enough to start with
Old 11-29-2005, 09:05 AM

Interesting that everyone tells you that your BR was too small but, for the most part, fails to offer any suggestions.

FWIW, the times I've run bad for any length of time ultimately came down to poor play. On my part.

Not bad luck friend. Poor play.

Dr. Al has a series of archived articles related to this topic. Take a look.

For now, take a brutal look at your game.

Take a look for these leaks:

1. Playing too many marginal hands from EP
2. Getting cute with vulnerable hands.
3. Chasing too many FL & ST draws without proper odds.
4. Over valuing large pp in multiway pots.
5. Becoming a lover of Ax
6. Prone to tilt
7. Becoming money blind
8. Playing too long each session.
9. Fixating on results rather than decisions.
10. Playing w scared money.

The quickest way to break a "bad run" is to take an honest look at how you're playing.

Limit yourself to playing cheap SnG's until you get your house in order.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:56 AM

The best thing you can do for yourself is take a break from actual play. This is what I do when I am running bad. Try reading books on small stakes holdem and try to see what you are doing wrong. 2000 hands is a good estimate to tell you your play is not great. Try to tacke these problems by touching up on your game. As far as your BR is concerned, it is going to take a while to get it back up. I know everyone wants to get rich quick, but build your BR. Do NOT take anything out of it unless you absolutely need that money.

i can say that a little easier though, because I am a recreational player who never takes money out of my BR. I am grinding my way up the limits and cant wait to see how far up I can go.

GL
Old 11-29-2005, 11:29 AM

play less. Read some poker books. Remember to breathe. Breathing is important. Its more important than money. Everyone here has been through what is happening in your game. Not everyone has handled it well. Its hard. I know, because I recently lost most of my bankroll. Thankfully, I'm already on my way to a decent recovery.
Going broke would be a very bad thing for me because most of my income is from poker and I don't have another job. Hopefully, your financial situation isn't as grim.

Best,
Snowball
Old 11-29-2005, 02:57 PM

Im playing Limit, not NL so 100-200BB is enough to get going according to everything I have seen on here.

Last 3000K i am up 35BB so I guess that is progress.

Is it me or is Stars .50/1 alot harder than crypto or party .50/1. Im thinking of taking my money out of here and going back to party.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Getting cute with vulnerable hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guilty.