Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-27-2005, 11:18 PM

Default River play. How much do I suck?

No reads on either villian or the guy who went all-in. I use that as my defense for my river play.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls $4 (All-In), UTG+2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 folds.

River: (13.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.75 BB

With reads I would be more tempted to raise. But with an all-in already, i figured it would be safer to be weak tight and call.

Also, how bad is the flop? I felt the board was pretty draw heavy and with all the callers, raising would only bloat the pot. And thats bad right?
Old 12-28-2005, 12:05 AM

Default Re: River play. How much do I suck?

I would raise and expect to be shown Jx.

Can we raise then fold to 3 bet here? O.o .... My inclination would eb to say no given pot size and that a lot of fish on 2/4 play counterfitted two pairs or TP decent kicker this way.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:29 AM

I'd raise the flop for value. The board isn't that draw heavy. If it was instead something like J:diamondT[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] then I wouldn't object to your line so much.

River donkbet I just call unless you're enough of a baller to raise/fold.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:35 AM

Yeah, I'm not one to raise too many river bets by unknown players in protected pots. I expect to win this pretty often, but until my opponent proves himself capable of taking this line with a worse hand, I'd just as soon not subject myself to a 3-bet by a freak flush or 6.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:52 AM

Yeah I guess raising flop for vlaue = goodness. Take the money while everyone else is in it and such.

For some reason, that board really really scared me.

I fear QTo from under the bed! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm not one to raise too many river bets by unknown players in protected pots. I expect to win this pretty often, but until my opponent proves himself capable of taking this line with a worse hand, I'd just as soon not subject myself to a 3-bet by a freak flush or 6.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much my approach.