Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 12-12-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Re: How are you going to deal with tougher games in the future?

[ QUOTE ]
The poker boom is slowing...

[/ QUOTE ]
Really?!
Old 12-12-2005, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The work is more meaningful

[/ QUOTE ]

questionable
Old 12-12-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The work is more meaningful

[/ QUOTE ]

questionable

[/ QUOTE ]

umm... no.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:09 PM

I have been playing online for 6 years and the games have never been better than they are now.

Don't assume that the majority of new players are devouring the best poker literature and rigorously applying the concepts.

Even though sales of poker books have exploded I would be willing to wager that the majority of the books are only glanced over and not thoroughly read multiple times.

Without exhaustive study, experience at the tables and reviewing the game away from the tables it will be difficult to be a significant long term winner.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:06 AM

before this thread get's too far off topic about whether the games will get tougher, just think about the question for a minute.

How will you handle it if the games get so tough that you no longer have an edge?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the games have never been better than they are now.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you say so. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Without exhaustive study, experience at the tables and reviewing the game away from the tables it will be difficult to be a significant long term winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

you know, the other players don't need to be long term winners to make the game very tough. If the average player gets good enough we're all screwed.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:06 AM

I'm curious on why you are so pessimistic on the future of the game. I make plenty of money of good players. You just have to change you approach. The game is situationally dynamic, so learn more about every player. The variance will increase and winrates will go down but that doesn't mean there won't be winners and losers. I intend to stay above the curb.
At this point in time to the best of my knowledge, a wriiten optimal strategy has not been published. People will use different strategies in different situations and some of these strategies will be incorrect or exploitable. Those edges will be your profit.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the average player gets good enough mediocre players are screwed.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 12-13-2005, 02:07 AM

To be honest...

If the games became so bad that my edge was slim to none, I could see my hours drop to like 1 or 2 a week (from 10). For me, much of the fun and satisfaction comes from outplaying my opponents. If I can't do that, I'd lose interest pretty fast.

Actually, it could be even more abstract than that. Maybe I need to "think" that I can outplay my opponents, and that would be good enough to sustain me. It wouldn't matter if I actually could or not, I would just need to believe I could.

It's not the same as a game that's all skill. I could definately play chess against some who was better than me and I would still like it, but I think it might get too annoying that in the short term, poker is mostly luck, and if all the skill evens out, then it starts to become more like blackjack or something, where really luck is pretty much the only thing that determines whether I win or lose in a session.

I probably couldn't give it up entirely...and tournies would probably become much more appealing, relative to cash games.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:11 PM

Games are tighter than before. I make around 35 pct of my cash through rakeback. I dont think you'll be able to win as well as before because everyone has some sort of competence about the game. Its just a fact of life now. The pie is bigger but there are more hands in it. Also, the popularity will plateau and decrease slightly and then maintain a certain level of popularity.