Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Re: $55, JJ early, gets reraised from the blind

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You will hit a set or better 1 out of 8.5 times and thus may have the implied pot odds to draw to a set, since you may be able to win villain's entire stack .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

FYFYP, minor nit. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

7.5-1 (aka 1 in 8.5) to flop a set or better (full house, quads, includes unfavorable full houses), 8.28 to 1 to flop exactly a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I never said "exactly" a set.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:04 PM

I called with my relatively good odds(about 2:1) and was pretty sure my implied odds were through the roof since I was 95% sure I was stacking him on a J high flop. Flop came T high and he pushed all in, and after thinking for a little, folded. If villain's stack is shallower I would fold here since I don't feel I would be getting good enough implied odds. To those who said you would fold PF, why? 160 to win 1400 is way more than I need. Plus gamb00ling early is fun.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To those who said you would fold PF, why? 160 to win 1400 is way more than I need.

[/ QUOTE ]

160 to win 1400 is barely enough if you stack him every time you hit a set or better, but that won't happen.

Sometimes you won't get paid and sometimes you'll hit your set and lose all your chips.

Most of the time I follow the general rule of thumb and don't call for more than 10% of my (or villains stack) to hit my set.

In this hand I'd probably call preflop, because his reraise screams for AA/KK and he'll most likely double you up if you hit your Jack.

NP: Kayser - Noble Is Your Blood
Old 11-09-2005, 08:12 AM

he is raising you 160 so that is what it costs you to win a pot of over 350. how can you fold JJ here?? unless he can only have AA, KK or AK here it is an easy call getting over 2-1 and he has to have a wider range of hands. i am not too happy about three betting here but there is enough of a chnace you are ahead that you have to call at least. unless there is no chance he has AQ or a smaller pair, which with some players is possible or even likely. but given that you are first in in late posn he has to think there is a chance you are stealing, hence an easy call in my book.

Pat

Pat