Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 01:05 PM

Default miniraising limpers from the BB?

I tend to see that play all too much at SSNL and I always tend to laugh, but I have been thinking, though, that it MIGHT actually be profitable to miniraise w. small PP when there are 5+ limpers. It's like a LHE mentality to build a pot w/ a "big draw" in which case the big draw is a set draw which comes 7:1 times. By making this preflop pot sweetener, you aren't changing the odds, and ARE increasing the size of the pot and the chance to stack someone's TPTK/2pr etc.

What do you guys think?
Old 12-16-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: miniraising limpers from the BB?

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to see that play all too much at SSNL and I always tend to laugh, but I have been thinking

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to cry when I see that and no I think it sucks.
Are you going to check fold every time you miss the flop or are you going to bet into 4-5 callers?
I think you can stack someone that hit TP without the "pot sweetener"

It might drive someone like me nuts tho, so it might work but in a different way.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:16 PM

Do it more than once at my table and I'm limp re-raising you all-in in an orbit or two. Seriously, if you hit and someone is going to have a 2nd best hand and will donate their stack, why pay double to see the flop?
Old 12-16-2005, 01:28 PM

Right, but not EVERYbody who plays is willing to put in their whole stack with hands like KJ on K 7 2 board - they will sometimes just flat call to river when in position. By simply making this one small re-raise preflop you DOUBLE THE SIZE OF THE POT THROUGHOUT THE REST OF THE HAND. You're once PSB of 1.25$ will now become 2.50$ and your turn bet will be doubled.

It may cost you an extra BB here and there (cuz I mean how often do you get PP in BB with 5+ limpers? It's a rarity, sort of.)

I think it's worth it and will start doing it as much as possible.

Any other comments?
Old 12-16-2005, 01:39 PM

From the blinds, this makes some sense to me. With 4-5 callers who will nearly always just call the minraise at SSNL, you are getting 8-10:1 immediate odds on your 7:1 draw. This does qualify as a value bet.

The only downside is that you might get reraised by someone who gives you insufficient odds to call. At SSNL, this is uncommon in my experience and if you do it when you have a highish PP you can call, expecting to find someone playing sherriff with overcards or a lower PP most of the time. You will see higher PP with a frequency that is proportional to the size of your PP (I always wanted to say that), but I think it's +EV in the long run. Remember, something doesn't have to work 100% of the time to be +EV.

M
Old 12-16-2005, 01:58 PM

I see your point about doubling the pot size. If find it difficult to get their entire stack if they only have one pair. Decent players don't put their whole stack on the line with one pair especially in multiway pots like that one.

The downside is that you are virtually cutting your implied odds in half for the cases when you are able to get someone's stack. The stacks are half the size relative to the new pot.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:33 PM

IMO, the fact that you're cutting both your pot and implied and the chance that someone will re-raise makes this a bad idea.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:34 PM

I think if you try this, as soon as someone decides to repop it bigtime like 4_2_it is saying, you need to stop. You're sweetening the pot at the risk of getting blown off your hand by someone observant of what you're doing.

Personally, I think doubling your implied odds is far more important than doubling the pot size. With more people in, the pot is more likely to build anyway.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:02 PM

I like this play! It works for me on NL25 tend to getmore action wehn I flop the set otherwise its check/fold but I would call a raise according to 5/10 and most of the time chsck/fold unimproved. The pros dominate the cons.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:08 PM

good discussion

I will try it once in a while