Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Backing up a hard drive in xp

My hard drive is about to die it seems. It will not boot. However i havve it up and running now. How do i back up my data to DVD(program files/pokertraker databases etc..) before it completely dies.

It's only 2 years old and i paid $2800 for this piece of [censored]. I'm not happy.

How long will it take? How much storage do i need to back up everything? 160 gig hard drive.

Will i now be better off buying a new cpu or can this be fixed? A new tower should be fairly cheap if i keep monitors and other pieces of system.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Backing up a hard drive in xp

Go to Office Depot/Staples etc. and buy a Maxtor external hardrive (conected via USB) and then just back the whole thing up. Alternately, you could install a new internal drive as the primary drive and then transfer data from the old one, as there should be a bay free to do so.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Backing up a hard drive in xp

Why would you need a new CPU if it's your hard drive that's dying? Just buy another drive, mount it in an empty bay, cable it up, and transfer everything over to it. You can probably find some software like Norton that will do this and make the new drive bootable. Then switch the new one to the master, take out the old one and throw it away.