Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 04-25-2005, 01:38 PM

Default How to best combat this...

HU 1/2$ LIMIT Sorry the site does not yet give hand histories

I played this guy for 1.5 hours HU. He was ultra-agressive and raised the button 80% of the time. Anytime I would re-raise he would immediately cap. He did this EVERY time. Then he would cap the flop 70% of the time. He did this with hands as bad as J8 and J7 off (I know this because he flpped gutshots both times and hit both times on the river).

What is the recommended strategy for combatting this type of player HU in Limit?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: How to best combat this...

call down unimproved a lot if he keeps it up on the big bet streets, call preflop and trap him postflop as it sounds like he auto-raises and auto bets/raises the flop, don't 3-bet preflop except with hands u want him to cap with..basically don't try to take the intiative form an aggro; instead, use his own intitative against him by letting him bet your hands for you.

if he is capping most flops you're implied odds are pretty huge so loosen up a bit preflop (you should be loose anyway as he is raising so much preflop) and don't forget not having position sucks headsup anyway so you will always feel kinds frustrated lost when its his button.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:13 PM

So he raises my BB of AK, I re-raise (knowing he is going to cap) and he caps. I miss the flop and bet, he raises. Do I just got into auto check call mode?

As a side not, this happened many times during this session and I often found my self losing to J8 (catching 8 on the riv) A7, and hands as bad as K5 off.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:17 PM

I might, headsup can be very frustrating an difficult. But why would you bet the flop with AK to begin with unimproved when he capped on the button and you know he will bet for you. there may be times when it is right to check-raise but i will most often let him bet his likely worse hand for me and showdown that AK.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:26 PM

ahh, very good point. I guess that is blatantly obvious, but at times (while playing) these things tend to be neglected. So in summation, you feel the best way to combat the aggro is to allow him to always keep "control" of the pot?

For me this is hard, as I am used to being the aggressor.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you feel the best way to combat the aggro is to allow him to always keep "control" of the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

with a marginal hand like maybe 3rd pair of A high, but with something like Top Pair or better I'd go to war