Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 04-14-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: PLO/8 Newbie Hand

[ QUOTE ]
I would say at an absolute maximum its a 33% chance someone has a suited ace high flush when you bet a hand with a suited king high flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are 2 ways how to judge wether the nut flush draw is out there. You can calculate it or you can calculate it AND look at the action. And the action tells me someone really, really likes his hand. I still donīt understand the raise on the flop. Like you said, cottontail should have folded with just the nut low, but itīs really rare to see someone laying down the nut low at a PP $100 table. Iīd rather be a 51% favorite 3-way than a 60% fav HU. And given the risk that by driving out Cotton you are indeed making it heads up again the nut flush, then the raise makes even less sense. Itīs only the best move when your opponents hold exactly the cards as they did in this hand and Cotton is able to fold the nut low....

Then again regarding your statement about the biggest mistakes being made pre-flop. But isnīt Cotton in your hand a good example that the biggest mistake is made on flop/turn? Also is you raising with the worst hand pre-flop a mistake on your part by your definition?

and also pls comment on what I wrote here cause it interests me:

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Because if someone has a better hand than you, you want to find out now, and not on a flop of 378.

this assumes you are always getting raised by people having a better hand than you. But a better hand (low protection, no defect, Ace suited) may only call, so you are not necessarily gaining information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isnīt that exactly what Try_Me did? Smooth-call you with a better hand?

If I donīt have the mindset of a winner, then I must have the mindset of a winning loser ;-)

Edit: And if you make this much money, please pay some guy in Russia 300 bucks to make your site donīt like like itīs 1994 and Iīm using CompuServeīs Mosaic browser :-)
Old 04-15-2005, 09:15 AM

The reason Try_Me called my bet is he can't reraise me. We have played together for a number of years online in various games and he knows I have a playable hand from a range of possible starters. He cannot reraise me from the blinds with that hand because he cannot call me if I reraise the pot as he would then know i have AA plus low at the very least. Also he wants a third player in the pot as his hand improves preflop the more callers he gets.
So far as the flop goes. I will shove that everytime given the make up of the game, because on Party Poker, people just dont fold. Maybe on Stars or Ultimate Bet someone would fold nut low no high in this instance.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:32 PM

This is an excellent point, IMHO. Not to hijack the thread, but I think this points out a very, very critical aspect of PLO8... namely, how often to raise PF. My PT stats say I raise between 8-10% preflop, with a VPIP of around 30-35%. I have seen a range of VPIP/PFR's that win consistently, but I know for sure that a PFR of less than 4 or so is a severe problem--that makes it very easy for folks to put you on A2 or AA every time to raise it PF. Although your sidecards are still a mystery, this knowledge alone (when certain) is valuable.

So, my belief is that a PFR of minimum 6 is essential. You have to raise some A34's in position, KK23's, hands like that which aren't the absolute strongest, but which are somewhat reasonable to raise with and will help disguise other raising hands that are truly premium.

Ribbo, others, your thoughts on this?
Old 04-16-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

----- RIVER ----- [3h 8s 9h 7s][2s]
----- SHOW DOWN -----

Seat 10: shows [4c 5c 2c 4s] (A Pair of Fours, Nine high)
----- SUMMARY -----
Seat 10: (big blind) lost

[/ QUOTE ]

Hold 'em player here, interested in learning Omaha... doesn't Seat 10 get the low pot here? (he can play his 4c 5c for 85432, right?)

sorry, I don't want to totally derail this discussion I'm just kinda confused
Old 04-18-2005, 12:09 AM

Seat 8 has 7532A for low.