Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: On the flop, my best play was to
raise 10 40.00%
call 11 44.00%
fold 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2004, 03:30 PM

Default Re: FLAW IN THE POLL

I think I could do cheddar on a toasted turkey sandwich. But cold I think swiss is a more fitting match.

I'm no expert, so I base this just on my personal experiences. Since blarg stated my tastes for me (and because he is a ninja) I call him smart.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:56 PM

I used to eat Boar's Head Honey Maple turkey and deli sharp cheddar sandwiches (with dijon mustard) all the time. Sooo good.

The thing about cheese is that everyone's tastes are different, but I vastly prefer cheddar (the sharper the better) on my sandwiches to swiss. Cheddar has more flavor than any of the primary cheeses (American, Swiss, Monterey Jack) and goes particularly well with turkey and roast beef.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:01 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Turkey sandwich Time!!!

rye avocado sprouts and miracle whip or yellow mustard
Old 11-27-2004, 04:16 PM

Honestly, American cheese is barely cheese at all. It's so bland that it's more like congealed oil with orange food coloring. It's a signature horrible American food, terrible and watered down into tastelessness the way American chocolate is terrible, but even worse. I doubt much of anyone outside America eats much of it or likes it much. When I was growing up, I didn't have much exposure to any other kind of cheese, so I liked it more then.

As to cheddar cheese, I think good cheddar is sharp, myself. That tends to overwhelm a sandwich, becoming the dominant note. Especially one with a delicate flavor like turkey. Good cheddar cheese could just bury the flavor of the turkey, changing the sandwich from an interesting symphony to the monotone of a tuba.

Another thing is that cheddar "breaks" very easily; it crumbles and is hard to slice thinly, and cracks and falls apart on a sandwich. It also has a kind of mealy texture, which again tends to assert itself too much in a sandwich.

I love good cheddar, and it's the most popular cheese there is, but just don't think it's ideal for sandwiches. If it's in a sandwich, it's not bad all by itself though, with mayonnaise. And it's not bad melted in a poor-boy sandwich, or melted on toast or garlic bread.

But if you like it however you like, it, cool. Enjoying your food is what it's all about, after all.

I'm not sure if you've really tried a lot of different cheeses or not, but if you haven't, it's fun to get beyond the basic American choices -- "American" cheese and cheddar -- and try a lot of the hundreds of great cheeses out there. Some are awful, some are great. Most are neither as overpoweringly one-note as cheddar nor as deadly dull as American.

A lot of cheeses and coldcuts have their flavor homogenized - made a little more dull, sweet, and salty for easy sale in the American mass market. Even something like bologna can be incredibly good if you look around and get it at the right place, though. Lots of deli's have the mass market crap, too, but it's always fun to experiment and see if you can find something with some character.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:33 PM

I've had lots of cheeses, as a course in restaurants and such, so I've definitely "gone beyond American." And while it's true that American cheese is not really cheese, there is such a thing as "good American cheese." It's not pre-packaged Kraft singles, or [censored] like that, but you can get it sliced at some delis.

As for cheddar, you can get milder cheddar that doesn't overwhelm the sandwich and while good cheddars are probably not appropriate for sandwiches, but you can get what are probably lesser quality cheddars that slice well and work nicely.

Next time you get a turkey sandwich at a deli, you get cheddar on it, I'll get swiss on it. Just to try. Deal? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2004, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Turkey sandwich Time!!!

[ QUOTE ]
All you need is two slices of fresh white bread, good butter, a twee bit of salt/pepper to taste or as liked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eating that exact sandwich right now, Zeno!!!
Old 11-27-2004, 06:26 PM

Heh, I'll see if I can handle it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Like I say, there's no right or wrong really, as long as you like what you're eating.