Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 03:40 PM

Default How tight are you from the SB?

Looking back at PT I see tha tI lose LOTS of money from the SB as I used to complete 90% of the time only folding stuff like 27o 26o 93o etc. I would complete with any two suited in a MWP or sometimes even heads up but I think this extremely looes play is costing me. No, not the few cents each hand, but from getting into situations with these marginal hands and losing big stupid pots.

How tight are you from the SB? and in what situations? Do ypu complete more often in MWP or HU, what hands should be folded?
Old 12-16-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: How tight are you from the SB?

The blinds are so unimportant except in tournament play.

No matter what, you're going to be out of position for the whole hand.

I could care less if I folded every SB in a cash game.

I complete if there's a bunch of limpers and the BB isn't likely to raise with suited connectors and sometimes semi-connectors, AK/AQ, any pocket pair. Because of my position, I'm looking to hit a monster or get out.

Completing 90% of the time is just bad.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:49 PM

yeah I have realized this from looking at PT lol

so your saying fold unless condition is that there is lots of limpers (high implied odds) and a passive BB

kk, anything else to keep in mind?
Old 12-16-2005, 04:05 PM

The nature of the table in general makes a difference. If the table is relatively passive postflop and they do fish-donk things like bet $.50 into a $6 pot... then I'm more comfortable playing the drawing hands. If the table tends to be aggressive, I don't want to play much out of position. Position is key.

I also take into account how 'bad' I think my opponents are.

If your average player makes a raise from anywhere and I have a hand like AJ in the small blind... fold it. (because the only think you want to hit is 2 pair or a straight.)

Honestly... if you autofolded every sb except when you had pocket pairs and AK... it would probably be a +EV move.

Re: the suited connectors and stuff... realize that where are a lot of limpers, you call because of implied odds (good), but you are calling to hit a monster or a monster draw. You don't want to bet into a handful of people with weak holdings. If you have middle pair, no draw and weak kicker and there's 4 people left to act... let it go. you've invested squat into the pot.

position, position, position.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:27 PM

My overall vp$ip is barely above 20, and I complete 22%, which is basically (in unraised pots with atleast one limper before me); any 2broadway, any pair, any suited connector and sometimes suited semi-connector if I feel like it. In big pots (3-4 limpers) I might complete with some unsuited connectors from 56o and up. After 28k hands on party this past month I am breakeven from SB.

EDIT: Maybe I should add that I generally never call any raises from SB(might be some exceptions like UTG raises and there are 2-3 calls before me, but generally) unless I have a hand good enough to reraise with, in which case I usually reraise. I sometimes just call with AK depending on feel... and pairs ofcourse
Old 12-16-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Re: the suited connectors and stuff... realize that where are a lot of limpers, you call because of implied odds (good), but you are calling to hit a monster or a monster draw. You don't want to bet into a handful of people with weak holdings. If you have middle pair, no draw and weak kicker and there's 4 people left to act... let it go. you've invested squat into the pot.

position, position, position.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the main thing. Don't screw around, fold your weak hands. You aren't playing 78suited to get a pair of 8's. You're looking for a flush or a straight, and if you don't have 4 cards toward one or the other after the flop, get out.