Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-16-2005, 02:57 PM

Default totally lost on this 1010 hand

villain here is 66/12/2.2. i am totally, utterly lost. maybe i should take a few days off. anyway, here it is:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Hero ($50)
MP ($43.30)
CO ($19.85)
Button ($81.55)
SB ($115.58)
BB ($94.20)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $1.75, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($6) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5.7</font>, SB folds, BB calls $5.70.

Turn: ($17.40) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $15</font>, Hero calls $15.

River: ($47.40) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $25</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $72.40

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB doesn't show.
Outcome: BB wins $72.40. </font>
Old 12-16-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: totally lost on this 1010 hand

If you're calling turn, call river. I'm not so sure about the turn though, suddenly waking up like that feels like either Jx or set/2pair. Would totally depend on my read if I call this turn or not
Old 12-16-2005, 03:08 PM

yeah i know i should've folded the turn. but why wouldn't he checkraise if he has a set?
Old 12-16-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah i know i should've folded the turn. but why wouldn't he checkraise if he has a set?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. But, either a) the J helped him in which case you're behind, or b) the J didn't help him so he was probably ahead all along. So it feels like all you're beating is 77-99 and a bluff. Is he capable of bluffing here? If you think no then fold
Old 12-16-2005, 03:21 PM

This looks pretty odd. But check calling a large bet on the flop and then putting down a large bet on the turn and the river I think you are beat. People don't generally bet that hard with just one pair. (for one pair - unless maybe he has the overpair and slow played it preflop)

Unless you have a table image that you always put down a bet after being the preflop raiser. Sometimes people will check call the flop and then bet the turn to try and bluff you out without a hand or bet with a marginal hand. But that doesn't explain the river bet.

The other possiblity is that the villain is a complete maniac. Sometimes people start a bluff and they can't stop it. They feel that they have to win the pot otherwise their first bluff is a loss.

The only reasonable holding the villian could have that you have beat is 99 88 77. Or if he is a poor player maybe he had two pair with 64, then he just made a mistake on the river because it got counterfeited.

With his vpip could he could have the straight, trips/full house on river.

edit:
If he is loose aggressive postflop (that would match his aggression factor), then he could have been on the straight draw and then bluffing the busted straight draw on the river. Or some combination of a pair and straight draw. But if he has a pair I think it would be better to check the river.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:34 PM

Yeah. This is bad.

Why are you calling the turn bet if you're going to fold the river? If you think 10s are the best hand, then you should raise him or least call the river. If you don't, there's no point in calling since the only way you can improve your hand is if you flop one of the 2 remaining 10s.