Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 09:25 AM

Default \"Using the \"M\" Factor at the 10/1 level

Since HOH II came out, I have been trying to use his theory about "M" in SNGs. All of these SNGs are at the 10/1 level.
HOH states that if your "M" gets below 5, you should pretty much push with any A,K,Q,or J if you can be the 1st in the pot.

M= Stack/total of blinds

Example: Stack = 600/blinds 100/50
M= 4

I do not get to play a lot of SNGs (about 2 per day). Since I started using the "M" strategy, I have played 278 SNGs. I am ITM 40%, but have a LOI of 4%.

Is this sample too small,or do you think "M" will not work at the 10/1 level?

Thoughts anyone?
Old 12-16-2005, 09:27 AM

Default Re: \"Using the \"M\" Factor at the 10/1 level

Honestly, you would be better off just not using M at all at any SNG level, and instead worrying about ICM and how many bb you have left. There might be a slight use for it if you're playing at Stars and there are antes in the later rounds, but even then it's highly debateable I think.

And no I'm not saying this just because people tend to use M to make silly plays that can't possibly be +$EV, but there is that factor too.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:47 AM

Although I don't have it here with me at work, I've read HOH II three times. I don't think he advocates pushing with any K, Q, or J with an M of 4. You're not desperate enough to have to push with with hands like K4 or J6. I'd probably push with JT or better at this point. I've played a lot of 11s at Stars and HOH II helped me a lot, but I found I had to dial down the aggressiveness just a little from what he recommends. I also think 278 SNGs with an LOI are enough to indicate some leaks. Maybe this is one of them?
Old 12-16-2005, 03:02 PM

Well, M is just a measure of stack size. As I don't believe there is a site that has SNGs where the antes are ever significant, most people just use BB as the measure. It's less mental arithmetic.

What you're asking is whether you should be pushing any face card with 7 BB, and that depends on both reads and opposing stack sizes. In SNGs there are often times where you'll have 7 BB but have a healthy chipstack on the bubble(2100 chips at level 7, for example.) If there is a larger stack in the blinds you should be wary of pushing into him with crap because he is an idiot and will call you with K7o.

But that doesn't have anything to do with M, the flaw in your strategy is solely basing your strategy on your chip stack.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:04 PM

M is just a dumb thing to bring over to non ante STT play.....just look at your stack in terms of # of BBs.

So that's one pioece of info.....then you have to consider EVERYTHING ELSE GOING ON AT THE TABLE.

Yugoslav
Old 12-16-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, you would be better off just not using M at all at any SNG level, and instead worrying about ICM and how many bb you have left. There might be a slight use for it if you're playing at Stars and there are antes in the later rounds, but even then it's highly debateable I think.

And no I'm not saying this just because people tend to use M to make silly plays that can't possibly be +$EV, but there is that factor too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-16-2005, 04:14 PM

M isn't really a factor in Stars STT either. Since by the time antes kick in the game is usually pretty shorthanded. In Stars MTT on the other hand M is very relevant.