Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 02:01 PM

Default PL08 Partypoker $25

Villain1 is a loose moron ($11). He plays pretty much every hand and pretty much always leads the flop for a quarter. He will also call down with any pair/any low draw/etc. We have been battling in the chatbox (which I love because he's been making looser and looser calls)
Villain2 (~$25) - is newer to the table and I don't know much about.
I have ~$45.

I limp with A239 ss from UTG+1. 2-3 others including villain2 in lp. Villain1 limps from sb.

FLOP - A99.

Villain1 bets $.25. I call. (a lot of people had been raising on the flop and scaring him out. I wanted to get a little more in the pot.) Villain2 calls. everyone else folds.

Turn A994

villain1 bets .25. I raise to $2. Villain 2 pots it. villain1 folds. I call.

River A9944

I check. Villain2 pots it (all in). Hero?
Old 12-12-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: PL08 Partypoker $25

unless i'm missing something, you're only behind to AA and 44, and there is exactly one combination of each, i think its a quick call
Old 12-12-2005, 02:24 PM

After checking, you have to call that.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:06 PM

I hope you lost this hand to quad fours on the river. It would serve you right for playing the hand so weakly. Smooth calling the flop is okay I guess, but what are you gaining? You pick up a couple of min-bets (woohoo) and you're in the exact same situation on the turn. Perhaps the turn card will make someone an expensive 2nd best hand or give a low draw. That's an okay line to take, but then you have to re-pot the turn when it appears villain2 did make 2nd best. The river is an automatic call.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you lost this hand to quad fours on the river. It would serve you right for playing the hand so weakly. Smooth calling the flop is okay I guess, but what are you gaining?

[/ QUOTE ] The villain I was hoping to get money from (villain1) was prone to bluffing. I was hoping he'd blast out more on the turn if everyone showed weakness. It's not my usual play. It was very player specific.

"Perhaps the turn card will make someone an expensive 2nd best hand or give a low draw." Actually, the 4 on the turn was my dream card... I didn't think villain1 would be able to fold once a possibility of a lowdraw appeared. Since I also had the nutlow draw (though counterfeitable), I figured I had good quartering possibility.

The 2nd villain is what threw me off. Not only did he chase away the person I was hoping to get into a bigger pot, I also felt at a loss to how he played.

Even if he had aces, I thought I had to call his reraise on the turn because I had the low draw and the possibility that we were tied.

The river was tough because I thought it might seem obvious I was slowplaying and yet he was fearless.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The river was tough because I thought it might seem obvious I was slowplaying

[/ QUOTE ]

You *called* his turn raise and then checked the river. He thinks you're scared, not slowplaying. Besides, after his turn pot raise, you know he's going to end up all-in on the river either way. Cross your fingers, call, and hope for the best. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 04:09 PM

I'd repot on the turn, makes your decision making a lot easier. plus if he has 235 then you won't risk letting him off easy when the low bricks on the river.

Given the way you played it, I guess I'd call and prepare to hate myself. Only hand you beat is 9-4, but 4-4, A-A, or A-9 seem much more likely to me. With a read on Villian2 that he is a strong player, I'd just get away from this.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: PL08 Partypoker $25 Comment and Results...

[ QUOTE ]
With a read on Villian2 that he is a strong player, I'd just get away from this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I'd had a read.

The villain had AA and my hand is no good.

I think the real reason I lost half my stack here was the mistake of paying too attention to the fish and not enough to the absolute stranger. Even as I called his all-in, my mind was screaming "aces." But I got so excited about the first guy (who I knew I was clobbering) that I didn't consider the second guy in which case I still would have lost the hand, but might have exercised some pot control and possibly might have found a river fold.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The villain had AA and my hand is no good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Weird that he did not raise from LP. What were his sidecards? Could be a donk, or could be a guy with a nice plan to stack Ax on an Axx flop. Has happened to me a few times recently.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:33 PM

Quick question... Are both situations equally unlikely...

Flop: A99

Situation 1) Hero has A9xx, Villain has AAxx.
Situation 2) Hero has AAxx, Villain has 99xx.

I'm almost never concerned about shoving in situation 2, yet situation 1 occasionally crosses my mind. From hero's point of view, is one of villain's holdings more likely than the other, or is my difference of concern only more apparent since the probability is conditioned upon both people shoving as is more likely in situation 2?