Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-08-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Playing from the blinds: KJ

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG (t1005)
UTG+1 (t2200)
MP1 (t680)
MP2 (t645)
CO (t1365)
Button (t595)
SB (t725)
Hero (t785)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t120) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t30</font>, CO calls t30, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises how much? </font>
Old 12-08-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Playing from the blinds: KJ

However I raise when it gets to me to about 125.. I don't want people staying in and would like to take it down now or at least know where I'm at.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:09 AM

Bet 180 (pot) and fold to a raise. I think if you get a caller I'm open pushing most blank turns here. This hand might play out simpler if you just pot it first in, but I like the checkraise as well so you don't get 3 smoothcallers and no info. OOP on such a draw-heavy flop.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:35 AM

Do most people push the turn if the checkraise gets called? If you do, then I'm more weak-tight than i had previously thought.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do most people push the turn if the checkraise gets called? If you do, then I'm more weak-tight than i had previously thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Barring a scary card like the 7 of diamonds, yes.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:38 AM

i would raise it to 150-175. having said that, i prefer betting out the standard amount (90ish?) to see how everyone reacts. might be cheaper that way to get away from it...
Old 12-08-2005, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely, if it was heads up. with 2 opponents, probably, but not too sure.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:39 AM

Can somebody volunteer their opinions regarding trying to check-raise vs leading the flop (about 100-120 with two others in the pot, I'd say).

Also, does the 1/4 pot bet from UTG+1 mean he has a drawing hand and is hoping to see some cards cheap, or a good hand that he's trying to slow play while still building the pot? Or, does it just mean that he hit the bet button without any thought about bet size? I tend to think it means nothing, but am curious about others' opinions.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to think it means nothing, but am curious about others' opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that more often than not, he thinks he has the best hand, at this moment, so he's trying to take it cheap. For example, perhaps he has a mid pair, or AQ.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:49 AM

This is not a good flop to check-raise, it is draw heavy and might encourage a push from hands such as a str8/flushdraw combination. Also villain could potentially hold KQ and give you a little rope to hang yourself with. You are being pushed out of this pot by sets 100% of the time and by check-raising you are paying too much for information.

I'd prefer to lead for 90, fold to a raise. If called I'd really put on the brakes. You are beating KT, that is it. If called, I'd lead a turn brick for 2/3 the pot and muck to a raise. If a diamond hits you may just want to check/fold. If called on the turn I'd value check/call a less than half pot bet on a river brick and check/fold all other situations.