Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

View Poll Results: Well??
tough fold 42 31.34%
easy fold 21 15.67%
easy call 21 15.67%
tough call 50 37.31%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2005, 06:50 AM

Default Poker, Zen, How you feel in your gut/love mucle, the game by math

I really need help with my poker game, I like poker a lot, I really injoy it, over the long haul im down about 2k I would say, Ive done great plays Ive done poor calls, basicly its getting to the stage were I have to admit one thing.
I am not a good poker player.
That has to be the hardest thing for a poker player to admit to and I wont even bother explaining how Ive rasie odd cards and hit full houses or how Ive made a killing here then lost it.

Any way the point of my post, Here are some of my observations about poker.
-Poker can be beaten and you can make a lot of money.
-If you are centered and maybe outside of the game things are going well and you have your groove on, you have good karma, it comes across into the game and you end up winning, that will only last as long as you stay non greedy once you become greedy its like a switch gets hit and its all down hill from then on.
-The best tip ever given that I read was when Dole.B said you have to change gears, know what this means..
-Changing gears means that when you tighten up, you do tighten up and you dont start rasing 7-2 off suit just to see what will happen.
-Poker is not about what 99% of the books tell you, you make money in poker with trapping hands, period, if you cant put me on a hand ever then you are in one tough situation, this means.
-Raise a pair of twos, if you hit a 2 on the board its hard to see that, raise 5-6 suited, if you hit a straight its hard to see that. I think you might lose a bit of money raising odd hands but when they hit you are set to clear up, all in etc.
-Once you sit down as a man you start to want to control things with the lower part of your body, your energy starts to get vexed when this dont go your way and you go on tilts, I have tryed every thing from just getting in from a massage girl to praying to litening to brainwave generator (available freeware online), I just cant seem to sit down for extended periods of time and not loss the plot, watch your self guys.
-When you bet you got to bet strong, if you lose with a full house to a higher full house so be it, if you lose a to a higher flush as long as you had the king thats respectable.
-
I got heaps of more thoughts im at work right now but I posted this because on saturday just gone I went in with £80 when up to £160 with in a matter of minutes with some really great moves then lost the lot by playing heads up FL (pot limit) only after taking half the guys stack.

Its sick when go up then lose it all I need to be able to play by hottest game but not kick my self in the stomac, maybe I need a girl friend to deal with me whilst I play online, this might just might keep my head clear enough not to kill myslf after 25mins.

Any input:
Old 11-18-2005, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Poker, Zen, How you feel in your gut/love mucle, the game by math

Well... posting on this forum is the first step, but you're still a long way from realising your problems.

Play tight, ABC poker, if you can;t do that, you may have a gambling problem. If you don't know what ABC poker is, read every post in this forum for a week.

Good luck man, it's a long journey.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well... posting on this forum is the first step, but you're still a long way from realising your problems.

Play tight, ABC poker, if you can;t do that, you may have a gambling problem. If you don't know what ABC poker is, read every post in this forum for a week.

Good luck man, it's a long journey.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-18-2005, 08:16 AM

Arg. My guess is that most trappers dont make much money. They slow play, then pay off when the other person hits. Yes there are hands to slow play but they come across way less often than "trappers" realize. It is fine to mix up your game and trap sometimes, but I am betting you do it too much.

Sounds like you are too loose. If you are not a winning player dont raise hands like 22 or 5/6 suited. There is nothing wrong with raising those if you are an experienced player who is taking position, player types, and other things into consideration. That does not sound like you.

I would suggest keeping an open mind (mabye even starting fresh) when it comes to learing about poker, read these forums a lot, and play ABC at least until you stop losing.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

-Poker is not about what 99% of the books tell you, you make money in poker with trapping hands, period, if you cant put me on a hand ever then you are in one tough situation, this means.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not really true. You make money when you and someone else get a piece of the flop. You want to have the better piece, or you need to outplay your opponent.

I've made good money at NL $10 on hands like AK where you hit kings and someone else holds KQ or KJ.

Other money making hands are sets or overpairs when someone hits top pair with a good kicker.

Slow playing a flopped full house and nut flushes is not what poker is about.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
over the long haul im down about 2k ... I am not a good poker player.

[/ QUOTE ] This takes some balls to admit, and most players can't do it. (When you hear the "I'm breaking even.", you know what it means.)

Losing $2000 in NL$25 or lower, where I hope you are, is significant. You must play very much (without improving) or very bad, or both, to accomplish that. Still, you will probably get it back (over the long haul) if you stay here and read and post hands.

[ QUOTE ]
The best tip ever given that I read was when Dole.B said you have to change gears, know what this means..

[/ QUOTE ] No. This is bad advice for a starting ssnl player. Don't change gears. Just be tight all the time.

Good luck.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't change gears. Just be tight all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You speak the truth.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:51 AM

Ok, like others have said you're a long, long way from becoming a winning player but you're analysing your play and posting on here which is a big step in the right direction. I'll take your points one by one

im down about 2k

As you rightly point out this does mean you're not a very good poker player but like you also say admitting this is hard, its good you've done it.

-Poker can be beaten and you can make a lot of money.

Correct, having a good knowlage of players that have succeeded and and general understanding of where you stand in the ranking of poker players will really help you with the long run. This forum is great for this. I know which posters are the same as me, those who know less and those who know far more. Its nice to have a place.

If you are centered and maybe outside of the game things are going well and you have your groove on, you have good karma, it comes across into the game and you end up winning, that will only last as long as you stay non greedy once you become greedy its like a switch gets hit and its all down hill from then on.

Right, here is where you start to go wrong. Firstly your use of karma and description of your poker fortunes in streaks are two MAJOR flaws in your thinking. Good and bad runs do happen, we've all been through them but they are simply random arrangements of the chances that govern poker hands. Your brain is wired to pick up patterns don't be fooled. These things will happen if you're a winning or loosing player, they are certainly not triggered by karma or anything else.

-The best tip ever given that I read was when Dole.B said you have to change gears, know what this means..

Yes, if you're playing in the World Series, no if you're playing anything under $2/$4. No one will notice you've changed gears at low levels so play an optimal game, which is almost certainly tight and aggressive.

Again no. Poker is 99% what the books tell you. Getting trappy, slowplaying and bluffing are the classic mistakes made by bad players. You are probably far too focused on each hand. Do you catch yourself thinking 'Man I had the nut flush. I bet and he folded. I should have slowplayed, I had the nuts and should have made more.' If you do, stop as soon as possible, if the play is correct then the result in each hand doesn't matter. You're not always goign to be able to win money.

-Once you sit down as a man you start to want to control things with the lower part of your body, your energy starts to get vexed when this dont go your way and you go on tilts, I have tryed every thing from just getting in from a massage girl to praying to litening to brainwave generator (available freeware online), I just cant seem to sit down for extended periods of time and not loss the plot, watch your self guys.

Yup avoiding tilt is key, espcially live whre people will notice quickly and expoit you.

Sorry if any of this was patronising but thats the way I see it.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:57 AM

I think something else you have to do is expand your realm of poker knowledge beyond Super System.

I originally thought that book was the poker Bible at first, but it really is just a starting point.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:37 PM

You will do alot better if you stop utilizing your love muscle while playing.