Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 07-14-2005, 11:20 AM

Default AKs, missed flop...push here?

3rd hand of SnG, no reads on anyone yet.

First pot I enter, I pick up AKs. Blinds are 10/15, villian UTG+1 limps. after a few folds, I raise 60 (5x bb raise). All fold to UTG who calls, and UTG+1 calls as well.

Flop comes [ 9s, 7d, Js ]

UTG checks, UTG+1 comes out betting 100 into a 190 dollar pot.

I reraise to 300, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls. Turn brings 7s, making 3 spades on the board. UTG+1 pushes, and after some thought I fold.

Good play? Should I have pushed on the flop? Since I had missed it horribly and with a potential flush draw out there, I figured a reraise may win it there but it obviously didn't.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: AKs, missed flop...push here?

What buy-in is this?

I'd likely fold on the flop. It missed you, UTG+1 has shown strength, you still have plenty of chips behind, and it's still very early. I see no reason to continue with the hand.

Also, assuming 2 limpers from UTG and UTG+1, I'd probably raise to t75 before the flop, though I doubt this makes much of a difference.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:27 AM

I raise to t90-100 preflop. Just fold the flop, you don't say what suits your AK is but if it's not spades, fold.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3rd hand of SnG, no reads on anyone yet.

First pot I enter, I pick up AKs. Blinds are 10/15, villian UTG+1 limps. after a few folds, I raise 60 (5x bb raise). All fold to UTG who calls, and UTG+1 calls as well.

Flop comes [ 9s, 7d, Js ]

UTG checks, UTG+1 comes out betting 100 into a 190 dollar pot.

I reraise to 300, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls. Turn brings 7s, making 3 spades on the board. UTG+1 pushes, and after some thought I fold.

Good play? Should I have pushed on the flop? Since I had missed it horribly and with a potential flush draw out there, I figured a reraise may win it there but it obviously didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

You reraise with ace high? Because that's all you've got, right now. When he comes out firing on the flop, just fold.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:35 AM

If he did have AsKs, would you push on the flop?
Old 07-14-2005, 11:38 AM

I'm aware I only had an ace high on the flop but fired one barrel at it. The buyin was a 5+1 (yes, aware that I should play 5+.5 or 10+1). I had AK of clubs, so yes no spades. If I had clubs, I would probably push on the flop.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:39 AM

Sigh. The fact you are playing a $5+$1 makes it ALL THE MORE LIKELY he has a piece of this flop, so you should fold, not re-raise for half your stack. This is ridiculous.

And if I had AK of spades then obviously I push - sheesh.

By the way $5 also hate to fold, you should know this. If they pick up any part of a flop they won't throw it away, especially if it's top pair.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm aware I only had an ace high on the flop but fired one barrel at it. The buyin was a 5+1 (yes, aware that I should play 5+.5 or 10+1). I had AK of clubs, so yes no spades. If I had clubs, I would probably push on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I don't like about this is that you play a hand that likely has 6 outs as if it's stronger than a hand that could have as many as 15 outs (and be a favorite over any pair). Raising but not pushing indicates good strength because it lessens the chance that he is going to fold, which is obviously what you want him to do. If you're going to raise, I think you just need to go all-in and try to put them to a decision for all their chips.

I'd be much more likely to make a t300 raise with AK of spades than I would be AK clubs. And I'm not saying that pushing is bad with the spades, because you still don't mind a fold; it's just with spades, I don't mind a call either, so I think a standard size raise is alright too.

With 6 outs though, I'm not making a raise of any size, I'm folding.

Also, "firing one barrel" is fine if it's checked to you. After someone beats you to firing the first barrel though, I think it's time to give up the hand. You don't really have enough chips to make 'find out where I stand' raises like this.