Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-19-2005, 03:14 PM

Default \"Happy Holidays\" v. \"Merry Christmas\"

Has anyone else noticed the inordinate amount of (sometimes subtle) argument against using "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"? This year I've noticed it a lot more than in the past. And, have even noticed people saying "Happy Holidays" moreso than before. Very intriguing, I think.

Personally, I don't mind "Merry Christmas", "Happy Hannukah", "Joyous Quanza" (or whatever), or any other holiday greeting that people want to use. As long as it's not a Government entity endorsing one of those, of course. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thoughts? Have you noticed this (perhaps subtle) argument going on about the holiday greeting?
Old 12-19-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: \"Happy Holidays\" v. \"Merry Christmas\"

"Happy Holidays" is a simple phrase that applies to everyone, doesn't (well, shouldn't) offend anyone, and doesn't alienate the rich jews with all the money who want to go shopping.

Seems +EV to me, and Bill O'Reilly can suck it.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:37 PM

Merry Christmas offended people, so it was widely replaced with Happy Holidays (to account for the small % of our population who is Jewish, non Jewish/Christian Africans, and/or indiginous germanic tribal living in America, I suppose), yet wouldnt Happy Holidays still offend atheists and muslims?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Merry Christmas offended people, so it was widely replaced with Happy Holidays (to account for the small % of our population who is Jewish, non Jewish/Christian Africans, and/or indiginous germanic tribal living in America, I suppose), yet wouldnt Happy Holidays still offend atheists and muslims?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am an atheist and it doesn't offend me. That IS why 'Merry Christmas' offends me (birth of Jesus, etc).
Old 12-19-2005, 04:44 PM

Holiday means Christmas, Hannukah, and/or Kwanzaa.

Knowing that by saying Happy Holidays, I am wishing you a well (enter any one of above holidays, none of which apply to you) that doesn't in any way offend you?

What offends you about Merry Christmas then, that doesnt offend you about Merry Christmas, Hannukah, and/or Kwanzaa?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:52 PM

Merry Christmas is about the birth of the so called 'son of god' - a concept I do not believe in. Hanukkah is about a great Jewish victory over the Syrian king, Antiochus. Not sure what the others are about. But they don't stress belief in God as their focal point.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am an atheist and it doesn't offend me. That IS why 'Merry Christmas' offends me (birth of Jesus, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

And regarding the birth of Jesus, isn't it widely regarded among our intellectual superiors and other high ranking historian-types, both atheist and not, that Jesus was in fact a real person? In what way then, does the mere hint of his birth offend you?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:52 PM

I like the tactful and always applicable "Have a nice break, or have a nice one." Has a nice ring to it, more than "Happy Holidays," anyway.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And regarding the birth of Jesus, isn't it widely regarded among our intellectual superiors and other high ranking historian-types, both atheist and not, that Jesus was in fact a real person? In what way then, does the mere hint of his birth offend you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we all have off from work on my birthday too? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 05:12 PM

"Happy Holidays" is a saying that has existed for a long time. When I was a kid, I barely knew what Hannukah was and never heard of Kwanzaa, and everyone told me that "Happy Holidays" referred to the TWO holidays that Christians celebrate during this time. Why waste another six syllables saying "and a happy new year?"

[ QUOTE ]
yet wouldnt Happy Holidays still offend atheists...

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine any atheist being offended by this. Any atheist can appreciate the kind act of exchanging gifts, spending time with his/her family, and having off from work. That's what Christmas always meant to me, and I don't even see any reason to be offended by the words "Merry Christmas." It's already pretty secularized and commercialized anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
...and muslims?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the [censored] cares? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]