Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 07:01 PM

Default PLO/8 Newbie Hand

Hold'em player trying to learn O/8. I lost a buy-in here, how fishy is my play? All comment appreciated.

Game #536923413: Omaha High/Low Pot Limit ($0.50/$1) - 2005/04/08 - 18:03:43 (EST)
Table "Gulfport" Seat 8 is the button.
Seat 1: ($157 in chips)
Hero: ($112 in chips)
Seat 3: ($21.51 in chips)
Seat 5: ($192.50 in chips)
Seat 6: ($70.75 in chips)
Seat 7: ($85 in chips)
Seat 8: ($239.50 in chips)
Seat 9: ($83.25 in chips)
Seat 10: ($46.95 in chips)
Seat 9: posts small blind $0.50
Seat 10: posts big blind $1

----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to Hero [Qc 8d 2d Ac]
Seat 1: calls $1
Hero: calls $1
Seat 3: folds
Seat 5: raises to $5.50
Seat 6: folds
Seat 7: folds
Seat 8: calls $5.50
Seat 9: calls $5
Seat 10: calls $4.50
Seat 1: folds
Hero: calls $4.50

----- FLOP ----- [3h 8s 9h]
Seat 9: bets $28.50
Seat 10: calls $28.50
Hero: calls $28.50
Seat 5: folds
Seat 8: calls $28.50

----- TURN ----- [3h 8s 9h][7s]
Seat 9: bets $49.25 and is all-in
Seat 10: is all-in $12.95
Hero: calls $49.25
Seat 8: raises to $98.50
Hero: is all-in $28.75
Returned uncalled bets $20.50 to en1gma

----- RIVER ----- [3h 8s 9h 7s][2s]
----- SHOW DOWN -----

Seat 8: shows [Td Js 5h Ah] (A Straight, Jack high)
Seat 9: shows [Ts Kh Jh Th] (A Straight, Jack high)
Seat 10: shows [4c 5c 2c 4s] (A Pair of Fours, Nine high)
Hero: shows [Qc 8d 2d Ac] (Two Pairs, Eights and Twos, Nine high)

Seat 8 collected $28.75 from Side pot #2
Seat 8 collected $28.75 from Side pot #2
Seat 8 collected $54.25 from Side pot #1
Seat 9 collected $27.40 from Side pot #1
Seat 8 collected $27.25 from Side pot #1
Seat 8 collected $95.50 from Main pot
Seat 9 collected $48.05 from Main pot
Seat 8 collected $47.75 from Main pot

----- SUMMARY -----
Total pot $360.70 Main pot $191.30 Side pot #1 $108.90 | Side pot #2 $57.50 | Rake $3
Board [3h 8s 9h 7s 2s]
Seat 1: folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Hero: lost
Seat 3: folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: folded on the Flop
Seat 6 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: (button) showed [Td Js 5h Ah] and won ($282.25) with HI: A Straight, Jack high; LO: 7,5,3,2,A
Seat 9: (small blind) showed [Ts Kh Jh Th] and won ($75.45) with HI: A Straight, Jack high
Seat 10: (big blind) lost

Also, what do you think of Seat 8's play? I've played with him a few times and he's always raking it in.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: PLO/8 Newbie Hand

This wasn't a horrible call on the flop with the nut low, and seat 8 got a lucky river card, but he played it fine. He drew to the nuts in a large multi way pot, and still had a chance to get that low. This is the problem with trying to get the low in a multi way pot -- you generally want to go for the high. I would personally have folded preflop, and possibly on the flop too. If you had Ax23, that woulda been a different story.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would personally have folded preflop, and possibly on the flop too. If you had Ax23, that woulda been a different story.

[/ QUOTE ]

I truly hope you are kidding. Are you only playing Ax23 double-suited?

His hand was good enough to see the flop. True, his hand had a defect in the Qc taking away 1 of his outs and he was out of position. But itīs really a question on how you play this hand from the flop onward.

On the flop with only a nut low-draw with no protection, Iīd see this hand through to the river in Limit, but would be likely to throw it away in PL if thereīs any action by several people. Allthough if all people involved are capable of going to the river with A3 and 23, I *might* be seing the river, but basically, a fold on the flop is the better solution here.

But a fold pre-flop is too tight for my taste. If others are paying attention you wonīt get enough action once you enter the pot.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:23 PM

I could have spent a lot of time replying to this post, but until you learn to raise A2 suited preflop, there isn't much point me discussing more difficult plays with you
Old 04-13-2005, 02:53 PM

why escalate the pot pf out of position with the danger of opening up yourself to a possible re-raiser who wants to get his hand HU?
Old 04-13-2005, 03:14 PM

Because if someone has a better hand than you, you want to find out now, and not on a flop of 378. If you do not raise A2 suited then you lose a lot of value from all the chumps who are happy calling a raise preflop with A3 and in this case 2445. You lose a LOT more value by not raising, than you ever would from people with AAxx reraising and you folding. The biggest mistakes in Pot limit omaha/8 are ALWAYS made preflop in the long term.
A perfect example of this would be this hand I posted on my website http://www.ribbo.com/omaha7.htm . I raise with the worst hand from 3 people who see a flop, but if I don't raise then I can't raise with A2 either. And if I don't raise A2, then I am only raising AA. And if I am only raising AA, then everyone else will fold to the rock garden in seat 3 who has only raising 1 hand all hour.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because if someone has a better hand than you, you want to find out now, and not on a flop of 378.

[/ QUOTE ]

this assumes you are always getting raised by people having a better hand than you. But a better hand (low protection, no defect, Ace suited) may only call, so you are not necessarily gaining information.

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest mistakes in Pot limit omaha/8 are ALWAYS made preflop in the long term.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm hmm. Always is a very strong word here. The biggest mistakes are a combination of bad PF-play and making bad decisions on the turn. If someone has a strong post-flop game, he can allow for some mistakes pre-flop.

[ QUOTE ]
A perfect example of this would be this hand I posted on my website http://www.ribbo.com/omaha7.htm.

[/ QUOTE ]

One sentence struck me when I was reading this hand you posted: [ QUOTE ]
Lastly I reraise the pot, because I have nut low with protection, nut high, plus a second nut flush draw which is likely good if it hits. Yes we know now the ace is out there, but as I played the hand out, I couldn't assume that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The nut flush draw is alot more often out there in PLO8 than in PLO, cause it mostly takes only another 2 or 3 or even only a 4 suited with that Ace to make people play the hand. Going full throttle with a nut low with protection and K-high flush with multiway action is a matter of taste and table composition. I would often think of my K-high flush draw of being non-existant... and I am often right. The hand you posted is really interesting as it was entirely possible that you would chase out worse hands with your raise and would play against someone who could freeroll for high against you. Donīt like that play at all.

[ QUOTE ]
I raise with the worst hand from 3 people who see a flop, but if I don't raise then I can't raise with A2 either. And if I don't raise A2, then I am only raising AA. And if I am only raising AA, then everyone else will fold to the rock garden in seat 3 who has only raising 1 hand all hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

I donīt know if this holds true. I do alot of raising with High-only cards since I know some players will make that crying call on the turn chasing their low. Again, by raising A2sXX, you are only increasing stakes in my opinion and exposing yourself on later rounds if done out of position.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The nut flush draw is alot more often out there in PLO8 than in PLO, cause it mostly takes only another 2 or 3 or even only a 4 suited with that Ace to make people play the hand. Going full throttle with a nut low with protection and K-high flush with multiway action is a matter of taste and table composition. I would often think of my K-high flush draw of being non-existant... and I am often right. The hand you posted is really interesting as it was entirely possible that you would chase out worse hands with your raise and would play against someone who could freeroll for high against you. Donīt like that play at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Firstly he isn't freerolling me for high if I have a nut high on the flop [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and secondly I do not believe you understand how often the ace high flush draw is in play when you hold a king high flush draw. There are 48 cards apart from yours of which 36 are dealt out. So that's a 75% that the ace got dealt preflop. The chance of that Ace being suited given that you have a suited king in your hand is 55%. So the chance of the suited ace being DEALT to someone is 41%, the chance of it being played reduces this even further. I would say at an absolute maximum its a 33% chance someone has a suited ace high flush when you bet a hand with a suited king high flush draw. Also that player MUST have a 3 to go with his hand to even consider chasing the flush. When we take all this into consideration betting A3 for low plus a king high flush draw in omaha/8 is absolutely correct, before we even factor in your other 2 cards which in this case includes a 4 for a 6 high straight on the flop. Hope that helps you understand the mindset you need for winning.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could have spent a lot of time replying to this post, but until you learn to raise A2 suited preflop, there isn't much point me discussing more difficult plays with you

[/ QUOTE ]

This is terrible advice. When you raise A2s preflop everyone puts you on A2 and A3 doesn't go broke with his second nut low.

Raise your good low hands to build a pot, raise your good 2 way hands to isolate weak limpers.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:52 PM

If you believe that, then you're an extremely weak player. You don't care if they don't go broke or not, since they have already called preflop and given you plenty of equity. Also you make the horrible assumption that ALL you should be raising is A2, this simply isn't true. There is much a preflop raise does not tell your opponents, simply because Omaha is about 4 cards and not 2. If your game is so predictable that when you raise preflop everyone puts you on A2 and you do have A2, then I recommend you don't play Omaha/8