Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Mazda RX-8?

I got one just over a year ago. I'm very happy for the most part.

Good:
- Nice accelleration. Not awesome, but for 30k it does a nice job.
- Incredible cornering. I've never had a car that corners like this. Tight as can be, very level. Friend has a mustang which can out accellerate me, but I kill him in the corners.
- Reasonable back seats. For a sports car, you can fit 6'0" people in the back seat. It's a little tight, but you absolutely could NOT do that in my Dodge Stealth or other supposed 4 seat sports cars.
- Related to the back seats, the suicide doors make entry/exit easier for passengers.
- The engine sound is very nice, rarely loud, just changes pitch.
- Engine responsiveness makes the accelleration feel better than it is. The Mustang I punch it and there's a short delay then massive accelleration. The RX8's engine power is immediate, it's amazingly responsive.
- Mind bogglingly good turning radius. A stupid, but nice thing, I can do a u-turn on a dime it seems like.

Cons
- Gas mileage gets no where near the 18/24 or whatever it's supposed to be. I get around 15, mostly city driving.
- Light car, rear wheel so it sucks in snow. Not a con to me, but might be depending on where you live.
- Trunk opening is small. Trunk space itself is ok, but the opening is hard to fit many things through (like a big picnic sized plastic cooler). Back seats do NOT fold down, so you can't get extra space that way.
- Rattles. My doors are quickly developing annoying cheap plastic rattling sounds inside.
- Eats oil. You have to put in a 1/2 quart of oil every couple tanks of gas. Annoying.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's a pain to get into and out of the back seats (though I've been told it's relatively roomy once you're back there.)

[/ QUOTE ]

you were lied to. try siting back there some time.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why not just buy a BMW 3 series or a Lexus IS with 30K?

or one of these sweet rides

so sweeeet

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever I see a car shaped like that I can't help but think of the ambiguously gay duo's car...