Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 08:43 AM

Default flopped pair of 8\'s - highest on board..

Ok I really don't know wat to do here, I've been in a similar situation before and ended up losing to someone who had KK but with no preflop raise or anything that could hint the guy had something good. Should I have just let this go early on? Or should I have bet when the flop came?.. I have no idea wat to do.. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (2.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (4.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB
Old 05-02-2005, 08:48 AM

Default Re: flopped pair of 8\'s - highest on board..

Good question, normally I bet this, but I know what you mean by losing these hands, they never seem to hold up. By the river anyone holding a 6 has the str8, anyone chasing a str8 has probably beat you. I'm still nor sure how to play this either.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:04 AM

Vulnerable hand, out of position, small pot.
Why bother.
If the UTG+1 and CO were weak, I might make one stab at folding the other two players by checkraising the flop but would probably then fold to a reraise or bet on an unimproved turn.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:15 AM

Well since they had to choose to enter the pot I would say go ahead and bet out on this flop. You played for free out of the BB, you could have any two cards, your any two probably matches up better with this flop than the "good" cards the other two should/would play. Failing betting out, I would certainly checkraise the CO who could just be betting because it was checked to him. That changes the whole complexion of the hand...

If you are ever uncomfortable playing a particular hand it is probably better to go ahead and fold early, if you're uncomfortable then you aren't playing optimally and it's probably best to not be in the hand...
Old 05-02-2005, 09:16 AM

I think your play was very passive. You have probably the best hand on the flop but very vulnerable so you have to protect it. Bet the flop to make weak overcards to fold. I occasionally check-raise here. Bet the turn as well. You can't give a free card to a flush draw. Fold to a turn raise. Check-call the river where you might induce a bluff bet by a busted draw or a middle pair.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:53 AM

in your situation I would check first to see what kind of action I get. If someone bet from early position I might fold (you're not getting the proper odds to draw to your 2 pair or trips).

However the bet came from late position. You now have the ability to isolate the other players (there's only 1 - UTG in this example) and protect your hand. This means forcing the other player(s) in the pot to call 2 bets cold. Most people will not do this unless they have a hand and will fold overcards and possibly middle pair or at best a better hand than yours. This also forces them to pay more to draw on any inside straight draws and the obvious flush.

If you check raise the flop the hand plays out differently. If CO re-raises after your c/r you can call and check/fold the turn if you don't pick up 2 pair or trips, or if you think CO is a loose players you could check call both the turn and the river. If CO just calls your c/r I bet the turn and fold to a raise. I also bet this river.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:19 PM

(In the dark)

I'd bet this one on the flop. You only have 2 opponents, and you hit top pair.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:32 PM

Checking is good.

When it's checked to CO and he bets, it's time to C/R.

Note that this plan is very different if EP bets, etc.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(In the dark)

I'd bet this one on the flop. You only have 2 opponents, and you hit top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with mvoss. Against 2 players, you've got a really good chance of having the best hand here. You can bet out for value and for protection.

Everyone seems to be advocating a check-raise here, but in general you need to know who you're gonna check-raise before you do it. Especially if you're trying to check-raise only 2 people.

If we knew the CO would bet out (ie, if he PFRed and always follows through), check-raising would be a sweet move. But because our top-pair hand is low, it's especially vulnerable to overcards and giving a free card would be a catastrophe. I'd bet it out.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checking is good.

When it's checked to CO and he bets, it's time to C/R.

Note that this plan is very different if EP bets, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
How in the world do we know CO is going to bet? Small field, small pot, no obvious way to protect. I just bet.