Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2004, 12:05 AM

Default A simple how much gamble do you have in you question...

2-5-5 NL

A pot opened to 15 and called in a few places, you cold call with QQ and the SB (300) raises to 100. SB is unimaginative and is not trying to steal the pot. He does this with pocket pairs, AA - 88 (maybe 77). I've seen him do this a couple of times in the past few hours. I think he doesn't know how to play pocket pairs, so he makes raises that are normally 1/4 to 1/3 of his stack and mostly takes it down preflop, because smart players know they will never have the odds to break him while whales occasionally take a shot. 2 orbits ago he had his AA cracked by J5s when some whale called and flopped bottom pair and a flush draw. He rebought for 300 and a few hands ago he raised a limped pot to 60 and then showed 99. So do you put him all in with your QQ or fold? You have him covered, how low do you go knowing you are against AA - 88. I would imagine QQ would be the limit and only when you are last to act? If you had an entire field left to act ahead of you how would you handle it, only with AA/KK?

Additionally, I'm not properly bankrolled for this game, but it's normally too juicy on the weekends to pass up so I tend to play a lot tighter than I optimally should. That being said, do you pass with QQ here?
Old 10-19-2004, 12:19 AM

Default Re: A simple how much gamble do you have in you question...

Why pass with QQ if you know his range of hands there is 88-AA? Clearly you cannot, but clearly you shouldn't be playing underbankrolled either.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:35 AM

you are in lp and it is folded to you?? my answer is ... abolutely not.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:59 AM

You don't specify exactly but I'm gathering there is close to $200 in the pot, it's $85 to you and he has $200 remaining in his stack. If you are correct that he's willing to do this with anything higher than 88 then this is clearly a call, you are getting nearly 4-3 on your money and if you are correct there is a better than 50% you are ahead. Depending on the player there might very well be some fold equity if he has JJ, QQ or even KK in this situation as well. I never play games I'm underfunded for so that isn't something I'll take into consideration.

These situations are precisely why you don't want to play in games where you are underfunded if you can help it but obviously a juicy game above your normal stakes is a powerful incentive, just get used to passing up opportunities and going bust more.