Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 06:20 AM

Default 5/10 Hand, Good Players Reply Here

Pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

Hero ($1272.90)
UTG ($748)
MP ($586.50)
CO ($220.30)
Button ($952.70)
SB ($300.24)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls $10, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $50</font>, Button calls $40, SB calls $40.

Flop: ($146) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB checks, Hero checks</font>, Button checks.

Button thought for a long time here, I put him on a T. He is probably worried about me slowplaying AA or something, as I have fired most of the flops I raised pre.

Turn: ($146) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets $50</font>, SB raises to $250.24 (all-in), <font color="CC3333">Hero calls $250.24</font>, Button calls $200.24.

The SB is pretty crappy, probably playing on the last of his bankroll. I put him on something horrible, he had been bluffing frequently. The biggest thing about this hand I wondered is if I should've raised or just flatcalled. I am pretty sure the button had two-pair, either QT or JT.

River: ($896.24) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero checks </font>, Button bets $75, Hero calls $75.

Final Pot: $1046.72

Please reply now before looking at the results.

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB has Tc 9d (three of a kind, tens).
Hero has Kh As (straight, A high).
Button has Qd Ts (full house, queens full of tens).
Outcome: Button wins $1046.72. </font>
Old 10-18-2004, 07:09 AM

Default Re: 5/10 Hand, Good Players Reply Here

i don't think you have to know anything more than basic poker theory to answer this question. first off, if you reraise on the turn, will the button call with two pair? if so reraise the whatever the max is that he will call. if not, just call on the turn so that the button is making a mistake by calling getting short odds.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:55 AM

people put to much thought on the math in shortterm situations my point is that u arent playing a specific hand 100 times there is just that one time in that one situation getting the maximum from your opponenet should be the only thign on your mind not "just calling to make it incorrect for him to draw" there are times when long term should be thrown inot the wind
Old 10-18-2004, 10:55 AM

if he is calling 50 dollars b4 the flop with q 10 u should be able to get his money anytime
Old 10-18-2004, 11:02 AM

i would've bet the flop, but otherwise i'd play it the same.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
people put to much thought on the math in shortterm situations my point is that u arent playing a specific hand 100 times there is just that one time in that one situation getting the maximum from your opponenet should be the only thign on your mind not "just calling to make it incorrect for him to draw" there are times when long term should be thrown inot the wind

[/ QUOTE ]

im sorry for coming off rude in some of my posts lately, but he said good players reply here. this post makes no sense
Old 10-18-2004, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

imo deciding to bet auto bet the flop or not in a 5 handed high stakes game depends alot on the game itself. i think you can get yourself into alot of trouble always auto-betting. especially on a flop like this, when you know you will get called by any pair
Old 10-18-2004, 11:14 AM

turn: i actually would just bet out here. the check raise gives off too much strength for what its worth dollar wise. the value of a check raise here would to get someone to bluff at the pot, which hardly seems worth it in a hand where you want to get your whole stack in.

the way it was played, i would re-raise. you have to believe that a set will call a decent reraise in attempts to fill up, so if you dont raise you miss out on that value. further, just flat calling doesnt keep many hands additional hands in the pot. either he has a high 2 pair/set and will give you action or he doesnt. last, your reraise will look like an isolation raise. he will put you on a wider range than he normally will.

edit: say you had bet out, other guy calls, and the small stack goes all in. Here i would be more inclined to re-raise then i would be in your situation. when you bet, your re-raise looks more like an isolation raise than if you had checked to start the turn. also, if you had position on the big blind, i would be more inclined to flat call. on the river it will be hard to play a huge pot with you being out of position.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:20 AM

once the turn gets checked, this seems fine to me, flat calling an allin player is pretty standard in this spot. reraising screams monster, so the button would have to be a real piece of work for that to be right I think.

personally, I would have bet the turn. if button calls you get the same amount of money in the pot, but now you give him the opportunity to make a bigger mistake and raise you. I really think checkraising is rarely the right move with the stacks at this level (i.e. you wouldn't be checkraising allin). best way to play a big pot here is to bet, not checkraise.

--turnipmonster
Old 10-18-2004, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

imo deciding to bet auto bet the flop or not in a 5 handed high stakes game depends alot on the game itself. i think you can get yourself into alot of trouble always auto-betting. especially on a flop like this, when you know you will get called by any pair

[/ QUOTE ]

it's definitely player/table dependent. i like the bet here because you probably have 7 or 10 outs if you get called - if the flop was J 9 x then betting would be less attractive. and do you really think that a hand like T9 is calling a pot-sized bet on this flop? hero's hand could easily be AJ or an overpair, and maybe a semi-steal with KJ or AT. in the best case (other than 99 or below) for button, hero would have AK/KQ/AQ and would have a ton of outs. i'd be surprised/happy to see a call from T9.