Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2004, 11:39 PM

Default Standard?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button ($520.30)
SB ($403.50)
BB ($341.60)
UTG ($200)
Hero ($372.10)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, Button calls $12, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($30) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to $40</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $120</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: $190
<font color="green">Main Pot: $110, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $80, returned to Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. Hero wins $190. </font>
Old 10-18-2004, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Standard?

yea
Old 10-18-2004, 09:35 AM

Nothing wrong with this line, but I'll usually let the guy think he's ahead with his pair of queens, then checkraise the turn providing it isn't an ace (as I think he's most likely holding AQ). If you reraise the flop here as you did, he folds every hand you're ahead of and busts you if he flopped a set. If you wait until the turn, he might fold to your checkraise, but you've at least gotten a little more money out of him. The only real downside is if he hits his kicker on the turn but I don't think that happens often enough to make waiting less profitable than coming over the top on the flop.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:43 AM

if you think he is the type that would bet the turn with just a queen, but not push all in when you check raise him on the turn, then i think this line is good too. if you do choose this line, i would take about 10 seconds to flat call the flop, then quickly check the turn.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:34 PM

I'm weak-tight, so any of: queen, ace, diamond, or even a jack, would scare me on the turn. Plus some small percentage of the time, he'll turn a completey disguised 2-outter that will definately cost my stack. So my SOP here is to go ahead and re-raise on the flop, even though I'm almost certainly not extracting maximum value from villan's one-pair hands.

And yes, I think the fact that I almost always play this way, a conservative manner that protects leads and wins pots rather than money, is a problem with my game.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:55 PM

I think what you're doing is better suited for tournaments than cash games because, in a tournament, the consequences of getting sucked out on are much more severe (i.e. the end of your tournament).

The problem with the OP's line (in my opinion), is that it basically tells the opponent exactly what you have. Its like a conversation:

Hero: I raised preflop, so I'm betting this flop
Villain: Hmm... do you have anything or are you just autobetting?
Hero: I don't care if you have a queen because I can beat a pair of queens (i.e. I AM HOLDING AN OVERPAIR!!!!)
Villain: Gee, I guess AQ is no good, I fold

I guess I just don't like playing in such a way that my cards are obvious. Against a set, I probably go broke anyway (unless an ace comes on the turn and I can get away) but I think I make more from an opponent who is led to believe his top pair is good.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:06 PM

if you think he is the type that would bet the turn with just a queen, but not push all in when you check raise him on the turn, then i think this line is good too.

If the opponent made a near pot sized bet with a Q on the turn and Poppin made a pot sized raise, that would pretty much be his stack anyway.

If one is going to check-raise the turn, do you think check-raising the pot is a good size? I like the turn check-raise as it milks a Q. But perhaps the best line would be to just call the turn and value bet the river. If you check-raise, you really want your opponent to call with Qs and most are going to lay down here.

I suppose it depends a lot on the opponent.