Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Protecting my hand or chip spewing?!

[ QUOTE ]
Given the way the hand has played out so far, I think we probably just want to get to the showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If SB 3-bets we are going to have to call anyway to see the river when we could have just seen it for one bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is your primary concern being frugal with bets in a pot like this!?!?
Old 04-30-2005, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to value-raise, wouldn't your chances of having the best hand have to be better than "marginal"?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. 'Tis my opinion. If I'm wrong, then I'm learning.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:46 PM

I personally wouldn't raise the flop. There's five people in the hand and three have put money in the pot on the flop. With one person left to act behind you, raising doesn't protect anything; all it does is bloat the pot with a marginal holding, and tie people to the pot. I'd look to raise on the turn, but if the betting pattern repeats itself, I think I'd just call again because I don't know that there's much value in raising. I'll have to play around with hand combinations.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:53 PM

Preflop isn't a big deal. Lots of bets in the pot. It's marginally profitable or marginally unprofitable.
Nor is the turn a spew. With UTG and MP padding this pot (and likely drawing, making the raise all the more valuable if you have the best hand) I'm not sure if the raise isn't optimal. I think you got to be able to fold to a 3 bet, however.

I would have checked the river, but other than that, this is a pretty nice hand IMO.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:02 PM

I didn’t even think of calling on the flop in hopes of raising the turn. That is something I defiantly should have thought about. What if the flop bet came from my immediate right, then raising the flop is the best choice, correct?

Slowing down on the turn never occurred to me either. I had been so focused on being aggressive with my play that I didn’t see the ways that the SB betting again on the turn to a 7 should have put up a red flag that I can’t be so sure anymore about my hand being the best.

Thanks for directing me to Ed’s post.

As for the river bet, once again I didn’t even stop to think logically about this play or how dangerous that river was. It completed the flush draw and possibly made trips for someone calling down a ragged flop hoping to catch their kicker or something.

Wow is there quite a bit of serious refining work to be done on my game.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Given the way the hand has played out so far, I think we probably just want to get to the showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If SB 3-bets we are going to have to call anyway to see the river when we could have just seen it for one bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is your primary concern being frugal with bets in a pot like this!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose you could raise to try to get the button to fold an overcard. Is this what you meant?

But then it gets trickey if the river is something like the Js or Ts. Are we still calling a river bet? I suppose it would depend on who was doing the betting...
Old 04-30-2005, 09:06 PM

meh... calling and raising the turn doesn't sound good to me here. Your hand is pretty vulnerable, the board is not excessively coordinated, and you are only raising one bet.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if the raise isn't optimal. I think you got to be able to fold to a 3 bet, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you fold to a 3 bet though at this point? Isnt folding, in what would then be a very large pot, be an awful mistake? Can I be that sure I am up against a set?
Old 04-30-2005, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I go oh crap when Button raises and call because the pot is too big to fold for one more bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ridiculous. If you have to be the second overcaller for the button's raise because you aren't sure you're beat, then you should have checked the river as they all suggest.

They are wrong though, you should bet here, but calling one more getting 25:1 or whatever is just throwing money away. You aren't winning this hand once in 100 after all that action. SB had you beat the whole way and now button sucked out on all of you. I wouldn't be that surprised if you were in 4th place.

-DeathDonkey
Old 04-30-2005, 09:45 PM

How can you fold for 1 bet if you are raised on the river in a 25BB pot? There is still a chance that the button could have missed his straight draw or is betting a 3 or 7 now trying to make a miraculous bluff for this pot when his hand didn’t improve. Granted this chance is very small, but it is party 1-2, I don’t know if I can say I haven’t seen it tried before.