Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2004, 02:27 PM

Default Chip Cases

I was looking into buying a 500 chip case today. The mahogany cases seem to have the highest price and look the best, but is their any difference in quality between the mhogany and aluminum caes. Thanks
Old 10-16-2004, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Chip Cases

A LOT of quality difference.

The mahogany cases (I have two of them) are excellent and beautiful. The problem with them is that they are too nice for me to feel inclined to carry around a lot. So I have to have a travel case as well.

The aluminum cases' handles frequently fail, that's the main complaint I hear about them. It hasn't happened to me yet. The green crap inside the aluminum ones is kinda cheap too.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:09 PM

the dividers in the metal ones are trash. get some wood glue to keep them in place.

AVOID the oak ones with chipracks. They are garbage. My best case is a custom case that came with an order of 1000 chips from some random guy on RGP. built like a wooden tank.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:55 AM

if you dont mind spending a bit, pokerchips.com has some great cases on their website.

i received the premium 500 case in brown and it is beautiful and has held up well in 9 months of abuse and traveling.

fsuplayer
Old 10-18-2004, 10:04 AM

hm what's the best travel case? the aluminums were looking good until i saw this thread. i want something that will last! portable and light is good as well.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:39 AM

So I had a couple of the faux leather cases, one that was just the plain texture and one that was vaguely alligatorish. They both held up great and I ended up selling them with an old set of chips. Maybe try those.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:29 PM

I ordered one of the 500-count mahogany cases w/ my suits chips from texasholdemchips.com. Can't be any worse than that garbage aluminum one that came w/ my ebay chips.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I ordered one of the 500-count mahogany cases w/ my suits chips from texasholdemchips.com. Can't be any worse than that garbage aluminum one that came w/ my ebay chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also haven't been happy with most of the cases I've seen. The Mahogany one seems to be one of the nicest cases, but I hear it's rather heavy and not too portable. I agree that the aluminum ones don't seem to be built very well. I had a 650 aluminum case that came with a set I got off ebay. The metal handle made it uncomfortable plus I always felt that it was going to break off, it just didn't seem too steady.

Other than the Mahogany, anyone have a 500+ case they recomend?

Warewulf
Old 10-18-2004, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A LOT of quality difference.

The mahogany cases (I have two of them) are excellent and beautiful. The problem with them is that they are too nice for me to feel inclined to carry around a lot. So I have to have a travel case as well.

The aluminum cases' handles frequently fail, that's the main complaint I hear about them. It hasn't happened to me yet. The green crap inside the aluminum ones is kinda cheap too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen similar aluminum cases with green, red, and black felt. Are these all the same?

Warewulf
Old 10-18-2004, 02:00 PM

Here's the one I was looking at... someone mentioned is awhile back:
Aluminum case - 700

I pretty sure they make a 500 case... here it is but 550:
550 Case

They also make a 400. We'll see if the case that comes with my chips is crap then I may look at this one for travel... going with the mahagony one so SWMBO will let me leave them out.

- Fins