Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Not sure about this hand.

I hate to say it but no reads only two hands in...

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

Did I have MUB's here with the call?

Turn: (8 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero ???
Old 05-01-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Not sure about this hand.

I'm not giving credit for a straight yet. I 3 bet the flop. Now following the hand through I like leading the turn. Remember that board is just as scary to your opponent as it is to you. It'd be an easy fold if you get raised.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:29 PM

I 3-bet the flop. MP2 doesn't have the straight; it's completely illogical to play a flopped straight like this. Besides, .50/1.00 players as a group are infatuated with slow-playing. My guess is MP2 has a pair of 9s or something and he's looking to thin the field. In my eyes, the CO is more of a problem than MP2: he called your PF raise after posting and he's calling two-cold on that flop. He's the one you need to watch for, I think.

On the turn, I curse and bet with the intention of folding to a raise. If both players just call, I'll see what comes on the river, and likely take the same line: bet with the intention of folding to a raise.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:39 PM

Don't 3-bet the flop, there are too many scary turn cards for you. A spade is scary, a T, a J, a 6, a 5... That's 21 scare cards, almost half the deck. What you have to do is call the raise, and either check-raise or bet out on the turn if a safe card falls. If a scare card falls, check, and look at the action ahead of you. Fold if it's 2 bets to you at any time, otherwise I think you can make it to the showdown. 3-betting the flop accomplishes nothing at all. Your edge isn't big enough to justify raising, and the remaining 2 players will call with whatever they have. Wait for the safe card.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't 3-bet the flop, there are too many scary turn cards for you. A spade is scary, a T, a J, a 6, a 5... That's 21 scare cards, almost half the deck. What you have to do is call the raise, and either check-raise or bet out on the turn if a safe card falls. If a scare card falls, check, and look at the action ahead of you. Fold if it's 2 bets to you at any time, otherwise I think you can make it to the showdown. 3-betting the flop accomplishes nothing at all. Your edge isn't big enough to justify raising, and the remaining 2 players will call with whatever they have. Wait for the safe card.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm.. i'm strangely attracted to calling the flop and leading the turn on a safe card. There's maybe a 27 percent chance that both the turn and river will be safe, but your share in this pot is 33%. Your equity probably isn't negative though, since not every scare card makes you lose, but it probably isn't very positive either.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:47 AM

So is it 3-bet the flop or call? Guess it all depends on a read eh?
Old 05-02-2005, 11:22 AM

I'd 3-bet the flop and lead the turn.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:25 AM

I probably whould have 3bet the flop had I been at the table, but I like your reasoning here.