Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 08:12 AM

Default Yao\'s book - dipo example (top of p. 91)

Can someone explain to me how he got 42 non-outs in this example? Shouldn't this be 40 as usual, since in his estimate of the number of outs he's already taken his opponents' hands into account? I must be misunderstanding this.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Yao\'s book - dipo example (top of p. 91)

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone explain to me how he got 42 non-outs in this example? Shouldn't this be 40 as usual, since in his estimate of the number of outs he's already taken his opponents' hands into account? I must be misunderstanding this.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I read it, he is saying there are 42 unseen cards since you know one player has 2 spades, and the other has a set.

I am puzzled why he uses 42 as the "bad number" ie non-outs, when he says you have 6 outs. 36 should be the "bad number" (unseen cards minus your outs).

Another reason why the Abdul/Morton system is simpler. You are getting 7:1 on the call with 6 outs. (7+1) * 6 = 48 > unseen cards = call.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:24 AM

This is an error. The line should read:

Non-outs x Bets to Call = 36 x 2 = 72

46 unknown cards, 4 cards we have assigned to the two players hands, makes 42 unknown cards. We have 6 outs. So 42 - 6 = 36 non-outs.

I don't agree with binion's assessment that this shows that Abdul's way was better - but I suggest you take a look his post, and make the decision for yourself what is easier for you to use.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:35 AM

Thanks, that clears it up.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:40 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

[ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with binion's assessment that this shows that Abdul's way was better - but I suggest you take a look his post, and make the decision for yourself what is easier for you to use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually your method opened my eyes to an error I was making using Abdul's method. His method makes it a little too easy to fold in profitable areas. Your explanation is well done and should help almost any player understand the fundamentals of handling pot odds along with implide odds.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually your method opened my eyes to an error I was making using Abdul's method. His method makes it a little too easy to fold in profitable areas.

[/ QUOTE ]

This interests me, could you be more specific?
Old 07-16-2005, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually your method opened my eyes to an error I was making using Abdul's method. His method makes it a little too easy to fold in profitable areas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bump. Slavic, would you mind giving a specific example of where you think Abdul's method makes it too easy to fold?