Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Very weak with trips, top kicker

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

MP ($29.42)
CO ($6.7)
Button ($138.3)
SB ($207.06)
BB ($156.65)
Hero ($109.25)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
Hero calls $1, MP calls $1, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($3.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3, MP folds.

Turn: ($9.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $15</font>, Hero calls $10.

River: ($39.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, BB calls $15.

Final Pot: $69.50

Maybe I'm on tilt at the moment, but my game just sucks. My read on BB: not very solid, calls down much, not very tricky...
Old 05-29-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Very weak with trips, top kicker

did he just call on the river with a fullhouse?

be thankful he didn't take more.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:36 PM

Why not raise the flop to get a feel for where you're at? His reaction to your turn bet is not good. I would have checked behind on that river very quickly. Your bet there will only lose you money in the long run, especially after that turn check-raise.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:40 PM

There can be a case made for raising this flop, but I'd probably flat call considering the board. It would give you more information, but you'll take down a bigger pot in a hand you're likely ahead against.

The turn bet is pretty weak. I'd 2/3-pot this. You're call here is even worse. You need to raise to see where you stand, with the possibility of getting a free card.

Good river bet. It's difficult seeing a made hand here check this river. I guess it could happen. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What did vilian have?
Old 05-29-2005, 05:23 PM

I don't know if I like the river bet so much. Only value is if villain has Jx. I don't like opening yourself to a re-raise.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:26 PM

He had QJo

At the turn I bet 1/2 pot because it is my standard bet. Maybe I should simply raise my standard bet to 2/3 pot, since many replies in many of my threads always say "bet more". Is changing between 1/2 and 2/3 bets possible or does it create too many uncontrolled side effects?
Old 05-29-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I like the river bet so much. Only value is if villain has Jx. I don't like opening yourself to a re-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you check a full house in hopes that your opponent (if he's not a complete LAG/maniac) is going to bet the river? I don't see this happening. Hero is likely ahead.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not raise the flop to get a feel for where you're at? His reaction to your turn bet is not good. I would have checked behind on that river very quickly. Your bet there will only lose you money in the long run, especially after that turn check-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

you really tihnk villain is checking with a full boat here? I really like the value bet.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:22 PM

this is awful, but you know that. play a big pot, there are SO many hands that will pay you off. the tiny bet on the river just sucks.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:30 PM

Given the way the hand played out, I can't imagine villain having anything but a J. The turn check/raise doesn't automatically mean boat. I think you lost a lot of value here.

I probably would have raised the turn to around $30, but barring that you really should be getting more money in on the river. It's hard to see anything but a J calling, but a J will call more than just that little amount, especially after check/raising the turn. Make the river $30 or something.